Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked rear glass, service center won’t cover under warranty:m. Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone going through insurance? Whats the process? Do you get it fixed by Tesla and pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by insurance? Just had a rock chip turn into a huge spider web crack on my roof glass and dealing with this now. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone going through insurance? Whats the process? Do you get it fixed by Tesla and pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by insurance? Just had a rock chip turn into a huge spider web crack on my roof glass and dealing with this now. Thanks in advance.

YMMV by insurance company and state.

USAA originally said they only do safelite.

Locally safelite told me they don't do Teslas, call Tesla. (though I've seen others in other states claim they had 3rd party do their tesla)

When I informed USAA they said ok, go get it done at Tesla, pay for it, send us a copy of the invoice, we will cut you a check.

Which means technically I made a tiny profit getting my windshield replaced since I got to put the tesla bill on a rewards credit card, then got a check to pay it.

Talk to your insurance agent, depends on your policy and state. In Massachusetts glass replacement is required by law, the only option is no deductible or $100 deductible.

Yeah, that's a pretty obvious impact. I say go through insurance. Add up how much you've paid in premiums over the years yet most of us rarely "use" what we are paying for. So I don't feel "bad" when I ask them to cover something once in a while.

Mike

Insurance will cover it but it will be a $500 deductible through progressive in WA state. ($1250 through SC) Going to take 6 weeks to get into a SC here in Seattle area. Doing a ton of driving this summer so I thinking of waiting to get it replaced until later this year as it is only cosmetic.

Thanks for the replies!

Interested whether or not you actually can get the glass. I've been delayed three times now, waiting THREE MONTHS for such a simple thing. Booked at the start of Feb', now scheduled for 28 April. Because they have no glass, and COVID is delaying stuff or some crap. I think it's unacceptable to not have a local stock of things which are damaged as often as glass. They told me they usually do but it was all used up - presumably a number of vehicles had this rear glass problem. :-|

With winter coming up I'm going to need the damn rear defroster working again.

Cracks in mine are along the bottom / rear edge, going under the black adhesive / paint or whatever it is, no sign of impact. I expect it to be a warranty item - but have been quoted approx. AUD1500 in case they refuse, at which point I might short the HV battery terminals and storm out. No, I'm kidding I wouldn't do that.

Anyway, I'm rather disappointed with Tesla.

I hope you can get yours sorted more easily.

It's the same process as any other vehicle with glass coverage. Jeez, Tesla's are just cars powered by a battery, not a spaceship.

Interested whether or not you actually can get the glass. I've been delayed three times now, waiting THREE MONTHS for such a simple thing. Booked at the start of Feb', now scheduled for 28 April. Because they have no glass, and COVID is delaying stuff or some crap. I think it's unacceptable to not have a local stock of things which are damaged as often as glass. They told me they usually do but it was all used up - presumably a number of vehicles had this rear glass problem. :-|

With winter coming up I'm going to need the damn rear defroster working again.

Cracks in mine are along the bottom / rear edge, going under the black adhesive / paint or whatever it is, no sign of impact. I expect it to be a warranty item - but have been quoted approx. AUD1500 in case they refuse, at which point I might short the HV battery terminals and storm out. No, I'm kidding I wouldn't do that.

Anyway, I'm rather disappointed with Tesla.

I hope you can get yours sorted more easily.
Be disappointed in Telsa all you want, but part shortages are an issue all across the auto industry right now and across many other industries too.

Reactions: Dmagyar
Wow. Most of your experiences are NOT what I had. Back windshield had small crack from baseballbat that caused a 2 foot crack. Called my insurance and they asked me to pick a local place. They gave me a name, and a week later, I had a new windshield.

Call your insurance and pay the deductible. Mine was $500 but would have been covered if I had glass protection. Glass protection is less than $10 every 6 months. The windshield tech told me about it.