TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cracked rear glass

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by mikerb, Jan 8, 2020.

1. mikerb

mikerb Member

0968671A-602E-4F58-AD47-27F01E9DEC9F.jpeg [ D721ADC1-C12D-473B-B335-CB55256E5A3F.jpeg Parked the M3 in a private driveway over new year while away in a weeks holiday, on return find a smiley face crack in rear window from side to side. Quick search shows similar cracks have blighted other drivers.

Booked a service 90 mins away 16 Jan, stating explicitly that this should be repaired under warranty and attaching photos showing no external damage. Response is “need to see it to determine validity of repair”. Not chuffed with this and hope they don’t mess me around.

Advice and suggestions gratefully received.

I love the car but this faff is tiresome.

2. pgkevet

pgkevet Active Member

Worth checking to see if your windscreen insurance cover the rear too.

3. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

Would it be worth a quick trip to an Autoglass outlet to have them do a quick report for you regards what they think caused it?

That way you can hand that report to Tesla if Autoglass say its failed and not through damage.

• Like x 1
  4. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

Quite a few reports of this happening and some (like yours) are very obviously a weakness which has become a crack when the heating element is turned on, but others are not as conclusive so I do understand why they would want a closer look.

5. Daverh

Daverh Member

The heating element does look a different colour under the central point.

• Like x 1
  6. pjuk

pjuk Member

Same happened to my front windscreen on an MX. Taking it to SC in March for them to advise - I’ll probably go to auto glass for advice as it shows no damage from the outside and I cannot feel any crack.

7. mikerb

mikerb Member

Took your advice and had it looked at by auto glass. They said air had been trapped next to the heating element and this had probably heated and pressurised causing the crack. Should be a warranty repair.

Then took it to Tesla stockport who were v friendly and helpful even though the tech staff weren’t there. I’ve got the service appointment on Leeds late next week but all they’ll do is look at it, and it’s a long drive. I’ll try popping in to stockport to see if a tech can look at it and then book in a repair.

• Like x 1
  8. rogbmurray

rogbmurray Member

Scary. By chance, are the windows tinted?

9. Dariushd

Dariushd Member

Just woke up to find a crack forming in mine too. Service call scheduled in 3 days. Tinted about 9 months ago.

Attached Files:

10. Ant M3

Ant M3 Member

I used to be a defect engineer for aerospace glass , picture isn’t great to see fully but I can’t see any impact marks so my bet is that there was an inclusion within the glass structure (usually tin or aluminium) from the float process. Under heating and cooling cycles the inclusion grows (still microscopic) and eventually penetrates the case depth of the glass.

• Informative x 1