Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cracked rear light, bad plastic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting some rain and snow recently I thought I would check the lights for the infamous moisture inside. I was slightly shocked to find my rear light housing not only had plenty of moisture but was quite heavily cracked. No impact points, it looks like the plastic if failing, regular cracks at the bottom half and a large crack on the top. I'll take it to the SC soon to get them to replace it (I would assume it would be warranty issue since this is obviously not the result of any impact). Just wondered if this was a common issue.

Attachments

• 20181201_121948.jpg
    20181201_121948.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 714
It looks like there is a pretty good scratch on the outside edge of the taillamp assembly, that even extends to the body of the car. I wonder if that could have applied enough force to bend the lens and cause it to crack.

Of course there is no way you can say there hasn't been an impact, as people ram things into taillights all the time and don't leave a note. (For example a shopping cart, etc.)

It will be interesting to see how Tesla handles this.

If they do replace it, I think it will be more of a goodwill replacement than a warranty issue. It is not as obvious to many people as it is to you that it is not from an impact. A ball hitting the lens could do that. Even a fist knocking on the lens to try to remove ice and snow could do that. Not saying that is what happened, just that it is questionable to them.

It's worth a try! That light likely will be amazingly expensive if you have to pay for it (have to replace the whole assembly). Best of luck.

Reactions: MP3Mike
After getting some rain and snow recently I thought I would check the lights for the infamous moisture inside. I was slightly shocked to find my rear light housing not only had plenty of moisture but was quite heavily cracked. No impact points, it looks like the plastic if failing, regular cracks at the bottom half and a large crack on the top. I'll take it to the SC soon to get them to replace it (I would assume it would be warranty issue since this is obviously not the result of any impact). Just wondered if this was a common issue.

I'm developing these too. Hopefully I can get mine replaced as well. Ironically, mine are the in exact same place as yours.

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_185858.jpg
    IMG_20190705_185858.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 440