Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Rear Window or Defroster Problem From Tinting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everyone,
I am scheduled to get my M3 tinted in 2 weeks. I have read online about some people warning not to get the rear window tinted because it can cause a crack in the glass or a problem with the rear-window defroster. However, I have yet to come across anyone who has actually reported a crackd rear window after tinting or a problem with the defroster.

So I thought I would ask our community, has anyone had either problems due to window tinting?

Oh, and on a related note, I read that you should not have the front windshield tinted because water can get into the sensitivte electronics in the dash. Has anyone had this problem?

Thank you,
joebruin77

I've heard people not tinting the sunroof due to cracking issues as well, it was my tinter that suggested not tinting the sunroof too. But nothing about the rear windshield. I had done everything minus the sunroof because it already has that UV coating. An experience tinter will know how to do the front windshield without damage. And yes, tinting the front windshield does make a difference in my opinion.

I've heard people not tinting the sunroof due to cracking issues as well, it was my tinter that suggested not tinting the sunroof too. But nothing about the rear windshield. I had done everything minus the sunroof because it already has that UV coating. An experience tinter will know how to do the front windshield without damage. And yes, tinting the front windshield does make a difference in my opinion.

Very helpful, thank you!