Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked roof glass, defect or impact?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello! Any glass experts out there? Tesla won’t warranty my glass roof panel on my M3. They say it’s impact, but I know it’s not because it started from the front edge, like I explained to them. I’ve since scheduled another appointment with a different service center for another opinion. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated!

E0F9AE33-07D1-454F-AB70-6ADA98C700BB.jpeg
74085D72-DB17-4DD6-8AFA-6CB198048233.jpeg
C1DF3EA7-6F17-4200-B857-45B3573A35DD.jpeg
CD3E56FB-151E-4D89-A7C7-662E50980311.jpeg
5FBBF5EE-E904-429B-941E-EDAB62218388.jpeg

Was the car in an accident? What kind of 'impact' are they trying to blame it on? If you didn't hit something, or something didn't land on it (which doesn't seem to be the case), I don't know on what grounds they can try to claim it was from impact. Do you have more detail on what they based this on?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I'm no expert but when I brought in my S for the common cracked wind shield problem, the SC went along the crack with the tip of a pen. The tech said that if it's created by impact there should be a discernable divot -- some obvious starting point where the impact occurred. If they are telling you it was an impact I would ask them to point out where they contend the impact/starting point was.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Isn’t this what comprehensive insurance is for?

“Something hit my windshield, come replace it.”

No big deal ... usually only a small deductible (or none at all, depending on insurance company.)

Glass-only claims don’t really affect rates either.

So I wouldn’t even bother arguing it, just call the insurance company ....

I shouldn’t have to involve my insurance when it wasn’t an impact to begin with. The crack started from the front and proceeded to what it is now.

Time is money... for a $100 deductible (or less) - I'd just make the phone call and get it over with. You've already spent hours at the service center and going to do it again with a second appointment.

Some things are worth the argument... not sure this is one of 'em.

The glass durability seems very iffy...

I am on the edge on ordering another M3 for my wife but these kinds of reminders still has me not pulling the trigger.

Do the pen test and let us know. It's possible it was impact, it doesn't take much at all it seems.

The glass durability seems very iffy...

I am on the edge on ordering another M3 for my wife but these kinds of reminders still has me not pulling the trigger.

Do the pen test and let us know. It's possible it was impact, it doesn't take much at all it seems.
Agree on the durability, but on the roof glass specifically. Heck our 2nd 3 was delivered with a corner glass chip on the roof glass.

Ive taken a few hard shots on the front windshield, and it only resulted in a scuff. The big BANG type that make you say OH SH!T.

Ive taken a few hard shots on the front windshield, and it only resulted in a scuff. The big BANG type that make you say OH SH!T.

Yea, I took a pretty good one to the windshield and got sick to my stomach waiting for the crack knowing the reputation for this glass. Can't see anything. I am tempted to protect the edge between the windshield and roof glass... Seems like it really doesn't take much and its a bad day.

Yea, I took a pretty good one to the windshield and got sick to my stomach waiting for the crack knowing the reputation for this glass. Can't see anything. I am tempted to protect the edge between the windshield and roof glass... Seems like it really doesn't take much and its a bad day.

That's pretty much the case for most cars. Depends on the speed you're going, angle it's hit, shape and properties of the offending piece. You can hear a loud whack and think for sure you will see a crack form and nothing, other times barely a sound and too bad. The windshield glass business stays pretty busy as a result.

Without looking at the glass in person to see if there's a divot in the glass line, it's kind of anyone's guess. There does seem like there might be a point of impact where the glass looks mostly white in the photo but again to hard to tell. I get you are upset by having to deal with this and it's a good size section of glass that needs replacing on your car, probably your first "ding" too.

Last edited:
There does seem to be a lot of cracks being reported, whether through impacts or stress fractures. But then again, there's more glass on a Model 3 than most other cars and there's also no firm numbers to know how many cars out of how many sold have had the problem.

I guess the insurance companies will let us know if it becomes a common problem by charging us more.

for what's worth, I just noticed a crack in my roof glass this morning, and I haven't felt any divots or anything. My windshield has two cracks, but those were definitely rock strikes, but my rear window glass cracked last winter and was replaced under warranty (Tech said a short in a defrost wire)