Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked roof using roof rack w/ cargo box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to share my experience with the forum. We recently drove up to Tahoe between Christmas and New Years and drove home during the storm. My wife noticed that her roof was cracked where the drivers front roof rack mounting foot is installed.

I had installed roof racks on her car a few weeks before our trip and she drove around with just the bars without incident. The day before the trip we mounted the Thule roof box centered on the car. We drove to Tahoe, stayed for 5 days and then drove home during a massive snow/rain storm. It was also pretty windy. About a hundred and 120 miles Into the drive home we stopped to charge and get some food. I noticed that the whole box shifted from being centered to being on the passenger side of the of the roof. The box was still securely mounted and would not slide side to side when I checked it. So we continued our drive home another 120 miles.

When we finally took the box off the car, my wife noticed that the roof had a crack on the driver’s side. I am guessing that the high winds that forced the box to shift toward the passenger side applied enough force to pull the j-hook that secures the roof rails into the glass. I also just noticed that our roof glass is mis-aligned with the drivers side gap to be about 2mm narrower than on the passenger side. I think that also contributed to the damage. I just filed a claim into my insurance to get it repaired under my comprehensive coverage. I doubt tesla with cover it under warranty since I didn’t buy the roof rack from them or have them install it.

We have another ski trip planned in February. I guess I will be keeping my wife’s old MDX just for long trips, as we need the roof cargo space and won’t be using roof racks on the model Y again. It sucks because we were hoping to sell her old ICE car since the MY did so great in the snow.

Attachments

• CCF7B529-3CB8-4961-8675-1E6DC4D0A1ED.jpeg
    CCF7B529-3CB8-4961-8675-1E6DC4D0A1ED.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 1,428
  • CD9274A4-A9F6-4C00-A77C-A2C61DECBCA3.jpeg
    CD9274A4-A9F6-4C00-A77C-A2C61DECBCA3.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 1,232
Maybe the roof rack pillar was torqued towards the passenger side of the car applying pressure to that anrea of the roof, and with it being so cold the glass roof couldn’t flex enough and cracked instead?

Could you do a trailer hitch box instead? Might also improve your efficiency.

Reactions: Jpandes
yeah i had tesla install my racks for a reason like this and documented it, i have seen a few people this has happened to, in the end its a bad dseign especially cause sometimes the rubber pads sit on the glass and sometimes they dont even installed correctly, i even spoke with tesla service about it and they said the rubber parts will usually sit a bit on glass but in your case looks like the J hook didnt go in properly as its lifting on the right side of the pad

I’m sure there are plenty of other people with roof racks installed that disagree.

The design is prone to failure.
exactly, the mounts should be purely on the pillars of the car, i wish tesla would have integrated roof bars like my palisade, we use that roof with a roofnest and about 800 pounds of weight up there with everything when we camp and not a single issue.

Skis in the pass-thru.

Boots in the roof box is a no-no — they’ll be freezing cold when you go to put them on!
Agreed to the above. I’ve had two adults, two teens, all of our skis, poles, boots and luggage for a week’s ski holiday inside our Model Y. Tight, but doable.

If you do want to carry the skis or snowboards outside the car, for those of us in Europe this tow ball rack from TowCar looks a pretty neat solution for “hiding” them from the wind.

Reactions: mark02115
Agreed to the above. I’ve had two adults, two teens, all of our skis, poles, boots and luggage for a week’s ski holiday inside our Model Y. Tight, but doable.

If you do want to carry the skis or snowboards outside the car, for those of us in Europe this tow ball rack from TowCar looks a pretty neat solution for “hiding” them from the wind.
i love carrying my skis on the roof much cleaner than in the car even when im going by myself

FADFCF17-33BB-4F1B-A512-0F4BAB9ADC08.jpeg

I just wanted to share my experience with the forum. We recently drove up to Tahoe between Christmas and New Years and drove home during the storm. My wife noticed that her roof was cracked where the drivers front roof rack mounting foot is installed.

I had installed roof racks on her car a few weeks before our trip and she drove around with just the bars without incident. The day before the trip we mounted the Thule roof box centered on the car. We drove to Tahoe, stayed for 5 days and then drove home during a massive snow/rain storm. It was also pretty windy. About a hundred and 120 miles Into the drive home we stopped to charge and get some food. I noticed that the whole box shifted from being centered to being on the passenger side of the of the roof. The box was still securely mounted and would not slide side to side when I checked it. So we continued our drive home another 120 miles.

When we finally took the box off the car, my wife noticed that the roof had a crack on the driver’s side. I am guessing that the high winds that forced the box to shift toward the passenger side applied enough force to pull the j-hook that secures the roof rails into the glass. I also just noticed that our roof glass is mis-aligned with the drivers side gap to be about 2mm narrower than on the passenger side. I think that also contributed to the damage. I just filed a claim into my insurance to get it repaired under my comprehensive coverage. I doubt tesla with cover it under warranty since I didn’t buy the roof rack from them or have them install it.

We have another ski trip planned in February. I guess I will be keeping my wife’s old MDX just for long trips, as we need the roof cargo space and won’t be using roof racks on the model Y again. It sucks because we were hoping to sell her old ICE car since the MY did so great in the snow.
It doesn't seem like anyone has pointed this out but your rubber mount is backwards. The longer edge should be on the outside of roof rails and the shorter edge should be pointed toward the glass. The way yours is mounted means it is not sufficiently supported by the roof rails. I've had roof racks for the last ~4 years on both M3 and MY with no issues.
InkedIMG_6366.jpg

It doesn't seem like anyone has pointed this out but your rubber mount is backwards. The longer edge should be on the outside of roof rails and the shorter edge should be pointed toward the glass. The way yours is mounted means it is not sufficiently supported by the roof rails. I've had roof racks for the last ~4 years on both M3 and MY with no issues.View attachment 894046
May I ask. Does the very edge of your rubber feet touch on your glass?

No, the side facing the glass doesn't touch at all. Kind of hard to tell from the angle I took the picture
guess your lucky lol only seen a few folks get it to not touch the glass at all, even when i had mine done at tesla and watched them do the torquing i had asked about rarely seeing some in the wild not touch and they said technically its suppose to touch a tad which is why the rubber pads extend over but he had come across a few folks they didnt have them touching at all and were fine