Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked the roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a nice rock to the center of the front part of the roof today. Solid, don't even have real license plates yet lol. Wonder if the insurance treats this like a windshield replacement.

20210423_122555.jpg
20210423_122611.jpg

Took a nice rock to the center of the front part of the roof today. Solid, don't even have real license plates yet lol. Wonder if the insurance treats this like a windshield replacement.

View attachment 656372View attachment 656373
ouch, that doesn't look repairable. Likely needs replaced. Wondering how that occurred? Drive close to someone on the freeway? Aliens landing on the roof? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Don't worry, I've already filed with the BBB, tweeted @Elon that his special roof glass is bull#%@^ and put a lawyer on retainer. ;)
I'm wondering if you are joking? I can't imagine Tesla being liable for something like this. A lawyer will cost you more than replacing the glass. Do you have a glass replacement rider on your insurance policy? Some insurance provide some costs as part of the policy and some companies require you to subscribe to extra coverage.

ouch, that doesn't look repairable. Likely needs replaced. Wondering how that occurred? Drive close to someone on the freeway? Aliens landing on the roof? Inquiring minds want to know :)
It was actually on base at 30mph. Jeep in front of me kicked up a rock. Funny thing is I was explaining the strength of the glass roof in a rollover to a buddy of mine riding shotgun at the time hah. Just hit at the wrong angle. Luckily the 3s roof is two panels so I'm assuming they can just swap it like a windshield.

It was actually on base at 30mph. Jeep in front of me kicked up a rock. Funny thing is I was explaining the strength of the glass roof in a rollover to a buddy of mine riding shotgun at the time hah. Just hit at the wrong angle. Luckily the 3s roof is two panels so I'm assuming they can just swap it like a windshield.
good. I feel better :) Will you be asking your insurance to replace it? I hope you have windshield coverage cos as you may know, they aren't cheap. Bummer this happened so new to the car.

good. I feel better :) Will you be asking your insurance to replace it? I hope you have windshield coverage cos as you may know, they aren't cheap. Bummer this happened so new to the car.
Yeah Allstate is pretty good about this stuff. I think I'm cursed. Every new vehicle I get, gets a crack in the windshield within 5k miles. I'll probably wait till after the disney trip to replace because if I do it now and it happens again on the road trip I'm gonna be pissed.

Yeah Allstate is pretty good about this stuff. I think I'm cursed. Every new vehicle I get, gets a crack in the windshield within 5k miles. I'll probably wait till after the disney trip to replace because if I do it now and it happens again on the road trip I'm gonna be pissed.
I have nerver curbed a rim until i owned the three most expensive vehicles in my life. I know the pain.

GREAT. Do check your policy though. I remember my neighbor saying that AAA and another company (can't remember the name) recently changed their polices that NOW you need to pay and add the additional coverage for window issues. Changed like in the last 2 months.

I do wonder though if you are in the habit of traveling close to other cars. My wife does that and she regularly gets chips in the hood and windshield. I am a guy that stays back a way and whether it helps or not, I don't have one single dent or chip in my 2017 MX after over 40,000 miles. Really, not one single chip and a lot of that driving in interstate.

As much as it sucks to have to have the roof replaced on your new car, this is one of the great things about Tesla's glass roof -- it'll be good as new once it's fixed!

Has this happened on a conventional car they'd have to fill the dent with bondo and respray the whole roof with nasty orangepeel, fisheyes, and clumps of dirt, hair, bugs, etc. embedded. It would look lousy for a few years and then start peeling off.

dhnor0lyl4h61.jpg

Don't worry, I've already filed with the BBB, tweeted @Elon that his special roof glass is bull#%@^ and put a lawyer on retainer. ;)

Since I read "many" threads in this section, and have seen your posts in various other threads, I was 99.999999% sure you were joking with this one :)

With that being said, there ARE some people on this website who would post such a post and 100% be serious, lol.