Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windscreen. Can autoglass do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on the size of the damaged area. I just had Safelite repair a nickel sized crack with 3 ‘legs’ on my Model 3 yesterday. Results were pretty amazing. The damage is almost completely invisible. I was really pleased. Insurance covered it too...so that was a bonus.

Definitely have a window repair shop check it out. May save you a ton of time and money.

may be repairable. here are the regs for maximum repairable crack size

Zone-A: bounded by steering-wheel width and windscreen wiper arc
Zone-B: remainder of driver's windscreen wiper arc not covered by Zone A
Zone-C: passenger windscreen wiper arc
Remainder of window, provided the crack is more than 3cm from the edge of the glass.

windscreen-repair-limits.png

Just to say that I've been using the 3 pin system when we go to a lodge for a week away. Probably done that 15-20 times over the last three years and generally left on charge for around 9 - 12, sometimes as many as 15 hours overnight. Checked the heat of the plug at regular intervals and so far (fingers crossed) never had the slightest problem.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Had the car for just 4 days and a big old stone has cracked my windscreen. Do Tesla have to replace this or can I get anyone out?

My Model-S has had Windscreen and rear quarter-light replaced by Autoglass or similar. Windscreen had headliner creak after a few days (probably would never have noticed in an ICE) and had to be redone (several years ago, back then I thought that as EV "quietness" was new might be an issue with fitter so I took it to Tesla to get it fixed, no problem since). New quarter-light had wind noise, the rubber fitting was "proud", had to have all that replaced and all the chrome trim down the whole side of the vehicle as a consequence. Let the fitter (well .. a Senior Fitter ...) do that one, and its been fine. Again, I suspect I would not have noticed the extra wind noise in ICE.

On my old Golf I went to Halfords to try avoid an insurance claim. I don’t think it actually counts as one but didn’t want to risk it for a £25 chip repair on a 10 year old golf.

I would NOT recommend it. Some kid came out, no experience. You can still see it and it’s a bit bumpy too.

Autoglass don’t offer repairs directly. Only through insurance so would recommend them as above.

Repairs are never a ‘bad’ thing per se. They can sometimes be optically almost perfect, but even when not perfect they restore the integrity of the pane and help prevent chip developing into something bigger and more expensive. For the price of a chip repair, you may as well ‘crack on’ with it.

Chips at the edge of the screen where stresses are highest tend to develop into cracks more readily. If t comes to full replacement, then autoglass techs are among the best out there. Better to use a guy who fits glass all day every day and knows every single trick in the book.

If you can fix it then do that, as soon as possible. Mine is too big to repair so needs replacement. However, 3 weeks on and I am still waiting for it. This is with Autoglass. They have it on order but have no clue when it will arrive.

I got a chip mid Sept, contacted Autoglass on 16th who came out to have a look at it but said it was just too big to warrant repair and would need replacement. Since then (up to today) I'd heard nothing in spite of contacting them twice to try to find out what was going on. Today they managed to respond to a third enquiry to say that the glass is on back order with no date for it to come into stock. Now the chip has grown into a crack about 18" long.

What a nightmare. I did speak to Tesla service to see if they could do it and they said yes and they thought they did have some in stock but would have to double check. They won’t go through your insurance company like auto glass do though which is why I didn’t follow it up. Might be worth doing if the crack is that big though.

What a nightmare. I did speak to Tesla service to see if they could do it and they said yes and they thought they did have some in stock but would have to double check. They won’t go through your insurance company like auto glass do though which is why I didn’t follow it up. Might be worth doing if the crack is that big though.

Alternatively, tell Autoglass where the stock screens are, and tell them to go pick one up... (worked on my old Audi, when I insisted that they use the OEM glass)

I have been driving for 25 years and never had a chip let alone a crack in the windscreen...today I got two within 15 miles on the M40 in my 6 week old model 3. The M40 was pretty clear and no obvious culprits. The first made a tiny hole 3/4 of the way up just to the right of the centre camera. The second was an inch in from the drivers side and 4 inches up from the bottom. Great big chip and a small 2 inch crack that over the course of an hour grew into a crack a foot and a half long heading towards the middle of the screen. In theory booked in with autoglass to replace next Saturday, although reading the above I am sceptical. I was also left wandering if the windscreen is more fragile than the Volvos, BMWs, Audis I have owned before. Or I was just unlucky....