Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Windscreen - Long delay to fix - options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We've had a cracked windscreen for approx. 6 weeks now with both Autoglass and Tesla finding it difficult to source a new screen. My insurance company at the moment seem reluctant to provide a courtesy car, however given the time elapsed, the crack being in the drivers vision line and it getting worse, surely there must be something that can be done?

Anyone have any experience? Seen some horror stories about delays earlier this year...but it seems even worse now!

Thanks

TC

This must be a very frustrating situation and the more Teslas there are on the road whilst there are windscreen supply issue, the situation may only get worse. You probably can't influence the global supply chain issues but you can negotiate with your insurance company. My suggestion is that you read carefully the insurance terms and conditions and if you feel they are not complying with them, then raise a formal complaint. A key phrase to include is that by not complying with their terms and conditions they are not treating you (the customer) fairly.

It's a bit weird this glass shortage, there must be lots of glass being made for new cars, I struggle to see why it's impossible to make more each time to service existing cars. Also given many other manufacturers have constrained manufacturing due to semi-conductor shortages you would think that the companies making windscreens would be short of orders rather than busy.

Ive been waiting over 4 months now. I’ve stabilised the crack and reduced the glare with a bit of Halfords windscreen resin repair. Much better but still right in my eyeline and not ideal. When it catches the sun it’s pretty distracting.

It's a bit weird this glass shortage, there must be lots of glass being made for new cars, I struggle to see why it's impossible to make more each time to service existing cars. Also given many other manufacturers have constrained manufacturing due to semi-conductor shortages you would think that the companies making windscreens would be short of orders rather than busy.
More profit margin in installing those screens (every screen they can make) in new cars vs supplying them to be fit on cars they've already reported in their financial results?

Keep in mind it’s not all on Tesla. Many sources make them for many brands. Tesla probably outsources them as well. So this probably is more on the glass companies dealing with global supply issues and forecasting than Tesla.

Now it might be partly on Tesla to make sure Glass companies have proper supply. I don’t know. But don’t assume this is all on Tesla.

This is much like a hard time getting a particular tire. And there are shortages on those too.

More profit margin in installing those screens (every screen they can make) in new cars vs supplying them to be fit on cars they've already reported in their financial results?
It would seem odd for the constraint on production to really be glass and not batteries or semi-conductors. It's never been mentioned. Surely the other constraints in the industry should mean that the glass factories are well below normal output.

Well I have to ask....did it happen???
No it did not , moved to the 18th July

They are just bumping it every 2 weeks , I'd rather they were just honest with me and gave me a real date rather than me having to rearrange my calendar every fortnight for an appointment that more than likely won't happen

I'm ok (ISH) with the parts shortage ,what bothers me more is the poor communication

I've been waiting since 4th May. 6 service appointments pushed back by Tesla now and 10 Monday texts from Autoglass to tell me that they're doing all they can but can't get a windscreen in.
Just been on the phone with Tesla and they're due a shipment of 600+ windscreens mid-late August.

Cracked my windscreen friday, logged with Autoglass who have ordered one but cant give an estimate on when they can offer me an appointment.

Logged with tesla via the app on Monday, booked in today being replaced. £683 inc vat.

Anyone got any experience with Churchill paying up more than the measly £125 they are offering? Anyone have an email address for them? You ring and follow the prompts for windscreen and they tell you to ring autoglass and hang up...

Quite sure. They will pay up to £125 for a 'non approved supplier'. Basically, £200 minus £75 excess.
I'd imagine insurance will only pay more if you had their explicit permission to go to Tesla for the fix. I'm more interested in how you managed to crack your windscreen Friday and have it fixed today??? I'm still waiting since end of April for Tesla to find any windscreens!