Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Windshield... no replacement... no communication... WTF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So over three weeks ago I had a rock or something hit the windshield and start a crack. Which is now over half way across the windshield. So I emailed Tesla Service and called my insurance company immediately. Tesla got back to me the next day a recommended that I bring it in and have it replaced by Tesla. State Farm called back quickly and conferenced me in to one of their preferred glass companies. Who said they did not do glass replacement on Teslas. So I told them I would just take it to Tesla as I have AP1 and want to make sure everything is done correctly. So they immediately called the Tesla Service Center to setup the appointment and get price quote for the replacement so that I can be reimbursed. When the SF Agent came back on the line he said Tesla was very unhelpful and almost rude. As they refused to give him any information on a price and said they would contact me with a quote via email. (which I an still waiting on and no it is not caught in my spam filter) So a week or so goes by and I hear nothing from Tesla. So I email the Service Concierge for a status update. To which all I get back is "we are working very hard to get a windshield here for your vehicle". So I emailed again yesterday. I have not received a reply yet. But SF calls me twice a week to check on the status. Funny that my insurance company is giving me better service than Tesla.
Has anyone else had this much trouble getting a windshield replaced with the Tesla Service Center?

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
When I had my windshield replaced by State Farm earlier this year I just took it to my local service center and paid for it out of pocket and then State Farm reimbursed me in full. I think the main issue here that you may not be in the loop about is that the service centers do not accept payments from insurance companies. State Farm should have told you that if they are the ones talking to the service center.

When I had my windshield replaced by State Farm earlier this year I just took it to my local service center and paid for it out of pocket and then State Farm reimbursed me in full. I think the main issue here that you may not be in the loop about is that the service centers do not accept payments from insurance companies. State Farm should have told you that if they are the ones talking to the service center.
That’s going to have to change soon with model 3 going mainstream. The average joe isn’t going to accept that.

I don't know of any dealers (not dealer bodyshops) that take insurance payments for work being done.
I don’t know if Tesla can be classified as a traditional dealer. In a world where you have to call ahead to see if a shop can even do a Tesla state inspection, something has to change. In an ice car I could drive up to any shop and be pretty certain they could help, most shops have never seen a Tesla where I live and refuse to take it.

my windshield cracked back in early Jan. USAA had Safelite come out and take a look and then charge me the $250 glass deductible but the catch was... there is or was a 2 to 3 week backorder on AP1 windshields.

I'm right down the street from the Burbank SC and even went there to ask and they said no way, they had a waiting line of replacements also so Safelite ordered it from Tesla and it took about 1 month actually.

Was done in Feb :confused: I think Tesla has their windshields made from a outside supplier.

I don’t know if Tesla can be classified as a traditional dealer. In a world where you have to call ahead to see if a shop can even do a Tesla state inspection, something has to change. In an ice car I could drive up to any shop and be pretty certain they could help, most shops have never seen a Tesla where I live and refuse to take it.
That has nothing to do with dealing with a glass breakage claim...

That has nothing to do with dealing with a glass breakage claim...
Since dealing with places that have never seen a Tesla has everything to do with it...Let me rephrase...I don’t know if Tesla can be classified as a traditional dealer. Living in an area where many shops have never seen a Tesla before, many (by many I mean all) refuse to even look at it. I accept it but when 3’s hit the road someone better step up as the average consumer will not be happy to have difficulty getting a simple cracked windshield repaired. People are used to being able to go through a relatively simple process for repair. Paying out of pocket first will not be an option for some of these folks, and the way that they have done things for years will change. If I tell my grandmother she has to email or tweet an advocate to get some help unless she wants to just pay for the repair then try to fight the insurance company for reimbursement, she would trade the car in immediately.

i had a cracked windshield also. started with 8" on the side and grew to over 2.5 ft over the course of a few days. it took tesla 2 1/2 weeks to get me a new one. paid about $1100 out of pocket.

my insurance company is liberty mutual and i have not been able to get them to pay it yet. still trying. initially they forwarded me to their 3rd party provider who basically couldn't help. insurance companies are the WORST.

So ironically..... Tesla called today to let me know that they have a windshield for me! I'm scheduled to take the car to them tomorrow. Also they said they would need the car for 24 hours to install the windshield. So I'm guessing they must be doing extra testing of the AP functions? (or possibly a third party is coming to do the actual replacement. And they need the extra time to schedule with the third party. As I have read else ware that not all service centers do the actual glass replacement.) They are going to do the annual inspection as well. Anyway I'm thrilled that the crack will soon be gone. And looking forward to seeing what car they give me as loaner!

Will report back after the weekend on how the trip to the Service Center goes. And thanks to all for the replies above!

I will insist a technician to test drive with you on highway after the repair. I have mine replaced twice (one before delivery and one after they replaced it). The first repair job is really lousy - air leaks, glue all over outside and inside, not to mention they need another 6 weeks for the second repair and two attempts to patch the first repair unsuccessful. They want to get the windshield settled and make sure no leaks.

We've been waiting for a replacement windshield for our "classic" Model S. It's been several weeks so far. The crack in our current windshield appears to have been started by a small rock or something hitting by the edge (where we didn't notice it). Thankfully, it isn't such a big deal right now. We filed a glass claim with our insurance, Safelite is going to do the work, and they are waiting for a windshield from Tesla. Our service center confirmed that windshields are backordered.

Given time, I expect Tesla will sort this out. They'll obviously need to have a more consistent supply of windshields going forward.