Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Windshield on 3 week old Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My windshield cracked on its own with no impact a few days ago. I know there are other threads on this, but just thought I'd add another to the forum. About a 6 inch split from the top of the windshield right behind the rearview mirror attachment point.

See attached photos.

Attachments

• 20211213_131029.jpg
    20211213_131029.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 20211213_131026.jpg
    20211213_131026.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 20211213_130955.jpg
    20211213_130955.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 20211213_130953.jpg
    20211213_130953.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 20211213_130926.jpg
    20211213_130926.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 248
I made a ticket and called my insurance company. Insurance said they'd pay for it because I've got full glass protection, but I don't want to make a claim for something I think Tesla should cover. I've got an appointment on Sunday to get it replaced at my local Tesla dealership. They can't tell me if it's going to be covered until they see it in person.

I'll keep the thread updated with how it goes.

Reactions: Corndart
My windshield cracked on its own with no impact a few days ago. I know there are other threads on this, but just thought I'd add another to the forum. About a 6 inch split from the top of the windshield right behind the rearview mirror attachment point.

See attached photos.
Hey man, a little off topic but, I have a MYP on order set for late Jan delivery. I also live in Hudson valley (Orange County) and wanted to get your impression of the MYP so far. I see you’ve had a few issues already but hopefully they’ll get cleared up soon. Thanks. Sorry about the thread hijack.

I got the windshield replaced on the 26th. Took 4 hours. They said they identified an impact mark so it wasn't covered by warranty. Insurance paid for the whole thing. Thanks Jake from State Farm.

Hey man, a little off topic but, I have a MYP on order set for late Jan delivery. I also live in Hudson valley (Orange County) and wanted to get your impression of the MYP so far. I see you’ve had a few issues already but hopefully they’ll get cleared up soon. Thanks. Sorry about the thread hijack.

I haven't had the car for long enough to give a very detailed report, but I will say that it starts off as a love story.

I came from a Subaru WRX and that was my love for 7 years. The MYP handles pretty well despite it's weight. Good low center of gravity. I only had the 21 inch summers on for about 5 days, but I can tell you they felt a hell of a lot better in terms of handling than the 19 inch Hakkapellita snow tires I have on right now. These are some extremely squishy snow tires, and they are pretty slippery when it rains. The turning radius of the car is good enough, but you'll definitely notice a bit of limitation where it seems you should be able to turn just a little bit more when making sharp and slow turns in parking lots and such.

The auto windshield wipers need a lot of work. They do not react well to rain. The autopilot is pretty great, but you'll get some phantom braking. If you leave emergency brake assist on, the car will slam the brakes on unnecessarily sometimes when you get too close to the back of a vehicle. The car seats are a little tight around my wife's butt, and she's very petite, but she does have a big booty. My butt has to squeeze in between the bolsters too, but I'm 6 foot 1 and 250lbs.

Summon is a gimmick. Takes too long to connect to make it worth it and sometimes the car will pull out of a space and refuse to drive to the target because it thinks the parking lot is a "public road".

Full self driving is not worth 10k or $200 a month based on the current capabilities. Autopilot is good enough and it's free. The wireless charging pad for your cell phone is painfully slow and basically useless. If you have a garage, order the homelink accessory to remote control the garage door. There is no built in Sirius XM functionality, but you can use the app on your phone. The built in Tidal app has a pretty good music library.

The car speakers are trash, especially the rears. Sub woofer is good though.

I commute 60 miles a day, three to five days a week and I live in an apartment with no electrical panel access, so I just use a standard wall outlet plugged in overnight and it's basically good enough for a weeks worth of driving, with a major caveat.

If you drive the car fast, as it is meant to be driven, you will drain the battery very very quickly. A 30 mile drive for me on the highway can drain as much as 30 percent of the battery, which to me is absurd. I limit the charge to 80 percent, and if I drive 80mph to 100mph to work, after 30 miles, I'm down to between 50 and 65 percent. I usually see it between 51 and 56 after 30 miles. After leaving the car in the lot unplugged at work, I'll get home with about 33 to 44 percent battery. The car/battery prefers to be driven 50 to 70mph. Any more than that and you get serious battery drain.

I find myself wishing it had double the range, but you'll soon realize there are super chargers everywhere. From 10 percent to 60 percent charge, you get a really high speed charge rate, especially if you precondition the battery. Might take about 15 minutes to go from 10 percent to 60 percent charge on a Tesla level 3 super charger. The charge from 60 to 80 is much slower, and the 80 to 100 is much much much slower. For a 10 percent to 100 percent charge, you're looking at about 50 minutes on a level 3 Tesla super charger. Home Tesla charger professionally wired might be about 6 hours from 20 percent to 80 percent.

If you have access to an electrical.panel and can install the Tesla home charger, it is 100 percent worth it. It'll remove all your range anxiety and concern about driving the car fast and fun.

Overall, I absolutely love the car. It's beautiful, it's fun, it's pretty comfortable,.and it crushes basically everything else on the road and the handling is way better than I expected it to be.considering the height and weight. My kids and wife love it too.

It's a great car overall, but having a Tesla home charger almost feels essential if you want to enjoy it fully without worrying about draining the battery too quickly while you're having your fun. I'd also highly recommend a radar detector. It's too easy to drive it comfortably at 100mph. Definitely concerned about getting arrested in it at some point lol...

Last edited:
I got the windshield replaced on the 26th. Took 4 hours. They said they identified an impact mark so it wasn't covered by warranty. Insurance paid for the whole thing. Thanks Jake from State Farm.

I haven't had the car for long enough to give a very detailed report, but I will say that it starts off as a love story.

I came from a Subaru WRX and that was my love for 7 years. The MYP handles pretty well despite it's weight. Good low center of gravity. I only had the 21 inch summers on for about 5 days, but I can tell you they felt a hell of a lot better in terms of handling than the 19 inch Hakkapellita snow tires I have on right now. These are some extremely squishy snow tires, and they are pretty slippery when it rains. The turning radius of the car is good enough, but you'll definitely notice a bit of limitation where it seems you should be able to turn just a little bit more when making sharp and slow turns in parking lots and such.

The auto windshield wipers need a lot of work. They do not react well to rain. The autopilot is pretty great, but you'll get some phantom braking. If you leave emergency brake assist on, the car will slam the brakes on unnecessarily sometimes when you get too close to the back of a vehicle. The car seats are a little tight around my wife's butt, and she's very petite, but she does have a big booty. My butt has to squeeze in between the bolsters too, but I'm 6 foot 1 and 250lbs.

Summon is a gimmick. Takes too long to connect to make it worth it and sometimes the car will pull out of a space and refuse to drive to the target because it thinks the parking lot is a "public road".

Full self driving is not worth 10k or $200 a month based on the current capabilities. Autopilot is good enough and it's free. The wireless charging pad for your cell phone is painfully slow and basically useless. If you have a garage, order the homelink accessory to remote control the garage door. There is no built in Sirius XM functionality, but you can use the app on your phone. The built in Tidal app has a pretty good music library.

I commute 60 miles a day, three to five days a week and I live in an apartment with no electrical panel access, so I just use a standard wall outlet plugged in overnight and it's basically good enough for a weeks worth of driving, with a major caveat.

If you drive the car fast, as it is meant to be driven, you will drain the battery very very quickly. A 30 mile drive for me on the highway can drain as much as 30 percent of the battery, which to me is absurd. I limit the charge to 80 percent, and if I drive 80mph to 100mph to work, after 30 miles, I'm down to between 50 and 65 percent. I usually see it between 51 and 56 after 30 miles. After leaving the car in the lot unplugged at work, I'll get home with about 33 to 44 percent battery. The car/battery prefers to be driven 50 to 70mph. Any more than that and you get serious battery drain.

I find myself wishing it had double the range, but you'll soon realize there are super chargers everywhere. From 10 percent to 60 percent charge, you get a really high speed charge rate, especially if you precondition the battery. Might take about 15 minutes to go from 10 percent to 60 percent charge on a Tesla level 3 super charger. The charge from 60 to 80 is much slower, and the 80 to 100 is much much much slower. For a 10 percent to 100 percent charge, you're looking at about 50 minutes on a level 3 Tesla super charger. Home Tesla charger professionally wired might be about 6 hours from 20 percent to 80 percent.

If you have access to an electrical.panel and can install the Tesla home charger, it is 100 percent worth it. It'll remove all your range anxiety and concern about driving the car fast and fun.

Overall, I absolutely love the car. It's beautiful, it's fun, it's pretty comfortable,.and it crushes basically everything else on the road and the handling is way better than I expected it to be.considering the height and weight. My kids and wife love it too.

It's a great car overall, but having a Tesla home charger almost feels essential if you want to enjoy it fully without worrying about draining the battery too quickly while you're having your fun. I'd also highly recommend a radar detector. It's too easy to drive it comfortably at 100mph. Definitely concerned about getting arrested in it at some point lol...
Wow… that was a review. Haha! Thanks man, I really appreciate this. Yeah, I’m a car guy who’s been driving a Jeep Wrangler for the last four years. Used to drive a 1999 BMW M3, 2002 GTI then a 2010 MINI Cooper JCW. I’m seriously itching for a quick car again. My order is a Model Y Performance (Red, Black interior, No tow, No FSD) supposedly getting delivered late January. I’m an electrician and already installed the v3 48amp home wall charger. I drive 60-80 miles each way to work (NYC) so I’m slightly anxious about the range. If you’re looking to install the charger anytime let me know and I can help you out. Anyway, thanks again for the review.

Man that's actually a really great overview.. especially for someone who has only had their Y for 3 months.

A few points I'd like to add:

• Keep $500 deductible on comprehensive, but get $0 on glass. Its almost mandatory with the Y and windshield issues.
  • If possible, on the MYP permanently switch to lightweight 20" wheels with a squared setup. It will allow use of cheaper tires (the car eats tires quickly). It will allow use of all season or all weather tires for those who live in milder climates. It will allow for tire rotations for longer tire life. Lighter wheels & tires will give you more range AND faster 0-60 time (drops as low 3.2 seconds) because the stock 21" Ultraturbines are heavy as hell.. they weigh almost 40lbs each.
  • The Tesla home wall charger installed on 60A breaker charges the car ridiculously fast, almost 50 miles per hour.
  • Agreed FSD is indeed a $10K gimmick. Nobody should pay the $10K for it upfront, if you are still that interested.. at least first sample the $199 monthly subscription to see exactly how little real world functionality it provides. I believe you can also avoid taxes on the $10K by purchasing it separately if you really wish to do that.
  • Tesla really needs to allow CarPlay/Android Auto.. or build a real 3rd party App Store. It will solve the issues with the lack of more infotainment choices like SiriusXM, Apple Music, Audible, etc.. and needing to constantly pickup your phone to control sources using Bluetooth. It will finally allow use of apps like Waze which do a much better job of reporting cops & speed cameras versus a traditional radar detector (which are also illegal in some states).
  • Get a tire punch repair kit and air compressor to keep in the car at all times. Flat tires are pretty common on Model Y's and it almost always a cheap repair you can do yourself in minutes, versus calling a tow truck and spending hours trying to get to a tire shop that's hopefully open and close to your location.

So I don't have great news for my update on this repair. I'm currently on my 3rd windshield since buying the car in November (new from dealership). 2nd and 3rd windshield have an air leak noise. 2nd windshield leaked water inside of the car during a rainy day. Replaced that windshield and now I've still got a ton of wind noise / air leak sound when driving over 60mph. There was also a leak in my trunk that's collecting around the weather stripping that they "couldn't reproduce" so they did nothing about it.

Bringing the car back in this morning and doing a drive with the a service tech when I get there. They had my car for 5 days last time it was in the shop and they gave me a loaner after first giving me Uber credits. Drop car off, Uber home, Uber back, get loaner, drive back home. Then they tried to pawn me off to another local dealer citing scheduling issues with glass installer. Other dealership didn't want to give me a loaner, so I am going back to the original dealer that has been doing the work.

Will post update.

Our 2020 Model Y is on the 4th windshield. We purchased it used 10,000 miles in. Houston roads with big trucks everywhere is the cause. One was from a Turo event. One was from a cement truck and the cameras caught it coming off the truck right where they merged from an entrance. That windshield was paid in full by the truck company. We have Jake as well and they helped on the others.

I just noticed the exact same crack stemming from the top center of my windshield, and I never heard a rock or anything hit the car while driving. My Y is garage kept. I can't believe this. Safelite just quoted me $2012.40 to replace the windshield. This is crazy.

AB9A90EF-7F10-4E3E-B246-20AA4FC047E1_1_102_o.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BED0879-EEFC-46A5-BE92-BE0F7688FAB7_1_102_o.jpeg
    6BED0879-EEFC-46A5-BE92-BE0F7688FAB7_1_102_o.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 114
Hmmmmm. That last line…..

So I don't have great news for my update on this repair. I'm currently on my 3rd windshield since buying the car in November (new from dealership). 2nd and 3rd windshield have an air leak noise. 2nd windshield leaked water inside of the car during a rainy day. Replaced that windshield and now I've still got a ton of wind noise / air leak sound when driving over 60mph. There was also a leak in my trunk that's collecting around the weather stripping that they "couldn't reproduce" so they did nothing about it.

Bringing the car back in this morning and doing a drive with the a service tech when I get there. They had my car for 5 days last time it was in the shop and they gave me a loaner after first giving me Uber credits. Drop car off, Uber home, Uber back, get loaner, drive back home. Then they tried to pawn me off to another local dealer citing scheduling issues with glass installer. Other dealership didn't want to give me a loaner, so I am going back to the original dealer that has been doing the work.

Will post update.

They replaced the windshield again. Still didn't fix the noise issue. Then I had to bring it back to them again and it turned out it was the windshield wipers causing the noise the whole time. They replaced one of my tail lights and said that should fix the water in the trunk issue - it did not fix it.

Since then, I had to get a new battery installed because something on the highway during a big rain storm destroyed the cooling neck and caused a lot of damage to the undercarriage. Car drove home but with several errors coming up saying it was ok to drive. Car wouldn't charge when I got home. Was making a horrible noise like a dying seal. That's what a coolant pump sounds like when there's no coolant. Got the car towed the next day. Battery replacement estimate was $16k. Ended up being 10k for insurance and only cost me my deductible. No damage to the front bumper oddly enough, just the cooling neck. Dealership told me it was a fire hazard and that I had punctured through the battery's armor. They gave me a newer model 3 for about two or three weeks. Car insurance has jumped up about $300 more for 6 month policy.

Got a brand new battery with only 7k miles on the car. Overall not a great situation, and the trunk still leaks into the area around the weather stripping.

Most recent event was three weeks ago when I was 200 feet from my driveway and then started to hear a metal on metal sound coming from my brakes. Thought maybe the brake somehow got locked to the rotor. Couldn't drive without hearing a very loud metal scraping sound. Did the Tesla roadside thing and they called me and told me not to drive the car. Ended up having it towed. Pretty bad experience at the dealership. No response through the app. No answer on the phone. Drove down to the dealership and they didn't even know my car was there. They also lost my $200 key fob and tried to blame the towing company. Had to call the towing company and they said hell no. Put the Tesla dealership on the phone with them and the service center ended up finding my key, but breaking the string that attached the key fob cover to my keyring.

Overall, still love the car. Just been a little bit of a bumpy ride.

Attachments

• 20220408_054640.jpg
    20220408_054640.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220408_054645.jpg
    20220408_054645.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 109
Little bit of a bumpy ride? Sounds like a total cluster…. The more I read about this type of stuff the more I’m thinking about cancelling my order. My SC is 200 miles away…. I had a M3 until a year ago - it’s problems were minor and handled by mobile service.

They replaced the windshield again. Still didn't fix the noise issue. Then I had to bring it back to them again and it turned out it was the windshield wipers causing the noise the whole time. They replaced one of my tail lights and said that should fix the water in the trunk issue - it did not fix it.

Since then, I had to get a new battery installed because something on the highway during a big rain storm destroyed the cooling neck and caused a lot of damage to the undercarriage. Car drove home but with several errors coming up saying it was ok to drive. Car wouldn't charge when I got home. Was making a horrible noise like a dying seal. That's what a coolant pump sounds like when there's no coolant. Got the car towed the next day. Battery replacement estimate was $16k. Ended up being 10k for insurance and only cost me my deductible. No damage to the front bumper oddly enough, just the cooling neck. Dealership told me it was a fire hazard and that I had punctured through the battery's armor. They gave me a newer model 3 for about two or three weeks. Car insurance has jumped up about $300 more for 6 month policy.

Got a brand new battery with only 7k miles on the car. Overall not a great situation, and the trunk still leaks into the area around the weather stripping.

Most recent event was three weeks ago when I was 200 feet from my driveway and then started to hear a metal on metal sound coming from my brakes. Thought maybe the brake somehow got locked to the rotor. Couldn't drive without hearing a very loud metal scraping sound. Did the Tesla roadside thing and they called me and told me not to drive the car. Ended up having it towed. Pretty bad experience at the dealership. No response through the app. No answer on the phone. Drove down to the dealership and they didn't even know my car was there. They also lost my $200 key fob and tried to blame the towing company. Had to call the towing company and they said hell no. Put the Tesla dealership on the phone with them and the service center ended up finding my key, but breaking the string that attached the key fob cover to my keyring.

Overall, still love the car. Just been a little bit of a bumpy ride.
Yikes..... Thanks for the update....

no. they didn't even respond. i think there's a problem they haven't acknowledged. I can't believe these windshields are cracking at the precise midpoint for no reason. can't all be rocks/ road debris hitting that exact spot