Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windshield: should Tesla, Safelite or fix it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
replacing a windshield:=TSLA? Here in AZ they outsourced it to Satellite for a while.

since the car self calibrates what are the differences compared to other windshields?
depends on where you go... here in North Texas your chances are still very high that the local safelite hasn't done a single Tesla windshield before. so you get to be first. Safelite is also the typical low wage / high turnover franchise which focuses more on TV ad buys than keeping qualified techs. removing the camera housing and re-attaching is finicky. if they break something they won't get those parts whereas the SC likely has them either on hand or can order them...

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
replacing a windshield:=TSLA? Here in AZ they outsourced it to Satellite for a while.

since the car self calibrates what are the differences compared to other windshields?
Tesla Model 3 windshields come from Saint Gobain Sekurit. If aftermarket windshields exist, one from Saint Gobain Sekurit is probably the same except for the branding and marking. One from some other company would have been reverse engineered with greater risk of problems with fit or whatever.

A Safelite or other automotive glass installer in your area can do the installation labor on an OEM or aftermarket windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
depends on where you go... here in North Texas your chances are still very high that the local safelite hasn't done a single Tesla windshield before. so you get to be first. Safelite is also the typical low wage / high turnover franchise which focuses more on TV ad buys than keeping qualified techs. removing the camera housing and re-attaching is finicky. if they break something they won't get those parts whereas the SC likely has them either on hand or can order them...

well said. I guess peace of mind with SC. But I saw some of their early work with a S, glue everywhere. It all depends on the tech being careful i guess...

Tesla Model 3 windshields come from Saint Gobain Sekurit. If aftermarket windshields exist, one from Saint Gobain Sekurit is probably the same except for the branding and marking. One from some other company would have been reverse engineered with greater risk of problems with fit or whatever.

A Safelite or other automotive glass installer in your area can do the installation labor on an OEM or aftermarket windshield.

Yeah I care about labor more. Another factor in AZ is you get a rebate of up to $150 for replacing but not from TSLA SC

Yeah I care about labor more. Another factor in AZ is you get a rebate of up to $150 for replacing but not from TSLA SC
Seems like with glass replacement, the options for the actual glass may include one or more of:
  • OEM glass
  • Aftermarket glass from the OEM supplier (Saint Gobain Sekurit in the case of Tesla Model 3 windshields)
  • Other aftermarket glass
While labor can be at:
  • Manufacturer-affiliated shop (Tesla service center for Teslas, dealer for other brands) -- may subcontract with other glass repair shops
  • Chain / franchise shops (Safelite, AutoGlassNow, etc.)
  • Small local shops
Either the glass itself or the labor can be significant in terms of the end quality of the job. For the glass itself, it is probably safest to stay with either the OEM or aftermarket from the OEM supplier, rather than other aftermarket. But labor quality can be luck of the draw at any of the different kinds of shops.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and vickh
Seems like with glass replacement, the options for the actual glass may include one or more of:
  • OEM glass
  • Aftermarket glass from the OEM supplier (Saint Gobain Sekurit in the case of Tesla Model 3 windshields)
  • Other aftermarket glass
While labor can be at:
  • Manufacturer-affiliated shop (Tesla service center for Teslas, dealer for other brands) -- may subcontract with other glass repair shops
  • Chain / franchise shops (Safelite, AutoGlassNow, etc.)
  • Small local shops
Either the glass itself or the labor can be significant in terms of the end quality of the job. For the glass itself, it is probably safest to stay with either the OEM or aftermarket from the OEM supplier, rather than other aftermarket. But labor quality can be luck of the draw at any of the different kinds of shops.

fair enough. Will stick w/ OEM supplier. I can ask around if someone has TSLA experience on NextDoor/FB for labor

I used Safelite a few months back at their Bellingham WA location. Mine was definitely not the first Tesla they had worked on and they had the windshield (factory with Tesla T on it) in stock.

My only issue after the repair was erratic windshield wiper behavior while using autopilot on sunny days. But I ran a camera recalibration myself and the issue resolved back to normal.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
My X has a 5” crack that has grown to 8” in a few cold northeast US weeks. I no longer use defrost during cold weather warmup. I stopped at both Tesla service center and Safelite yesterday. Tesla has windshield in stock and plenty of indoor space to perform the work and let the glue/glazing cure. Don’t accept insurance company payment so I have to pay and then get reimbursed from insurance company. Safelite, where insurance company referred me, said 2 or 3 weeks to get the windshield. They said delay due to it being OEM product. Small shop with single garage door open with 4 or 5 vehicles stuffed inside on a mid40’s day. At least one vehicle outside with tape on new windshield while glue/glazing dried in cool temps. Now to check with insurance company to determine if they cover full cost of Tesla replacement less deductible, forgot to ask for price yesterday, or if I will be will have to cover some additional cost. Using Safelite it is just the deductible.