Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windshield: should Tesla, Safelite or fix it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LAST UPDATE: Took my car in Thursday, May 2nd to the SC for the scheduled replacement of the windshield. First time at an SC, so was a little freaked when I saw at least 20 cars in front of mine just sitting there and more around the corner I couldn't see. But when I checked in, the guy said it would take two days and gave me a loaner (Model S). So that was good I wasn't going to be waiting around.

They texted me late Saturday that the car was ready and I picked it up Sunday morning. They told me initially it would be $1,100 and it ended up being $998. Invoice says it was done by a third party. Looks like they did a good job. No scratches anywhere. The windshield has the Tesla logo on it, so apparently not OEM. Everything looks good - just hope it never leaks. But I've had several windshields replaced over the years and have never had a problem with leakage ever.

• Helpful
Reactions: follow.johnny
Last month I had a stone kicked up by a truck in front of me on the highway on the way to work. I didn't notice anything until I washed the car a week or so later, and found a small star crack on the left side of the windshield. I was tempted to leave it alone, but my insurer (Geico) advised repairing it before it gets worse. With Geico, If I use Safelite there is no fee for the repair, so I scheduled an appointment. The van showed up today, as scheduled. The technician asked me if I could move the car into the shade...except there is no shade in our parking lot. We felt the glass and it was pretty warm to the touch. He said he had a spray that would cool it down so he could repair it. 20 minutes later he called me out to apologize that the glass had cracked. What was a 1/4" pit is now an 18" crack from the A pillar toward the rear view mirror. He asked if he wanted me to have him contact his office to get a new windshield on order. I told him I needed to think about it.

OK, I'm torn. Part of me says that this is a technician who has 4 years of experience (by his admission) and that sometime windshields just crack. I'm not out any cash for the attempt. The other part of me says that if he had been more patient and insisted that the windshield cool down (come back another day or take it into the shop), that the repair would have been successful. Safelite says I'll need to pay the $500 deductible. Geico says that I should not have to pay it, but that it needs to be resolved with Safelite.

If I do have to pay my deductible, I'm tempted to go elsewhere as I don't want to incentivize glass companies to have less successful repairs so they can sell more windshields. I have no evidence that they are doing this, but the incentive is certainly there if their is no repercussion for a failed repair.

In hindsight, I should have left it alone, and next time I will.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bill Foster
Seals either work or they don't. Whatever you heard is likely false.
Glass is a significant contributor to the rigidity of a car's body. What I've been told is that replacement glass is not secured as firmls as that installed in the factor, so you'll get more body flex after replacing a windshield.

It's also not that uncommon for a replacement windshield to be installed incorrectly. Of the two I've replaced, both on a Mercedes R350, the first one leaked and spontaneously cracked not that long after installation. the second one was done well, did not leak and was still intact when I sold the car.

Now, I need to replace the windshield on my Model S and I'm amazed by the amount of contradictory information people are receiving. Some of it may be that Tesla does things differently in different markets and with different models.

My experience with a 2015 Model S with the single front camera is that the Tesla Service Center in Berkeley says that they do their own glass and that the replacement will cost about $1120 and that is not a mobile service item. They also recommended two approved glass installers. The first, Primer Auto Glass, has the OEM glass in stock, can do it in their shop or in my driveway for $1229, and could cut $100 off if I pay, rather than making them deal with insurance. The second, Precision Auto Glass also has OEM glass in stock and would charge $1446.66. I also called Safelite. Safelite has aftermarket glass in stock and can install it in two days for 679.99. If I want OEM glass, they need to order it and can do the work for $1259.99 in five days.

So, rather surprisingly, the service center is slightly cheaper than any other choice for installing OEM glass. If I go with aftermarket glass, Safelite is substantially cheaper (and, yes, they can align the camera). What I'm trying to find is whether anybody knows whether Safelite's aftermarket glass is any good. There's no reason that it shouldn't be. There's nothing magic about whoever makes Tesla's OEM glass, but I've never used Safelite and I wish I knew more about them.

In AZ windshield replacers advertise cashback on insurance replacements, but not sure if they compromise on quality. Not sure how technique sensitive 3 replacement is? I know one tech mentioned you have to be Tesla certified and it's a two person job?

I would still do Tesla if they gave me a loaner over a weekend if there weren't quality concerns. A S owner showed me some their work in Tempe and it had glue all over the place :(

Last edited:
A bit long winded, but positive experience with Safelite.

Took a rock from an oncoming truck (dash cam only shows the truck zipping by ).

Went throught insurance, they have a whole website setup for glass claims and that's the only way you can do it. Scheduled a repair with Safelite in N. Andover MA, no Tesla SC option. Thought this would be interesting.

The installer called me directly to say the date liberty mutual gave me would not work, it had to be done in the shop since the have to remove part of the frunk and they won't schedule until after they get and inspect the glass (apparently have had issues with "Tesla" shipping it to them). So the Thursday date was pushed back to Monday. They gave me a lift to work (just down the street) and delivered the finished car back to my work three hours later!!! They seemed to know Tesla and understand all the issues. Because of the glass going below the frunk hood, it is a two man job to remove and replace.

Looks good. Glad to know I don't have to trudge down to the SC for glass work.

Funny end to the story, as soon as they finished dropping off, I drove from work back to the inspection station which is next door to Safelite. Still chuckling about that.

If going through insurance, and if the company (Safelite) that has the contract with the insurance provider, not really. Unless you want to jump through hoops, you with the third party. In this case, Safelite in MA when you have Liberty Mutual.

That said, not every Safelite location may, or may not handle Tesla's. I ran into that between the Firestone Leominster and Fitchburg MA locations. Even though they are five miles apart and share staff, only the Leominster location will do alignments. Something about newer machine, Leominster gets all the nice toys, see you Sunday in the other store, yada, yada, yada....

CANNOT believe I read this thread at lunch today and thought about how $hitty this would be...and of COURSE I hit the same path of crappy Louisiana roads that I lost an ICE vehicle windshield and "POP" I hear it hit...Cant stop cursing the 1500 series trucks with MT tires on it....I have a bullseye and a seven inch vertical crack at the bottom middle. Words cant describe. I am going to Safelite tomm to try and fix/stop it. NO way I am replacing a windshield on a eight day old car. It will keep getting worse.

Reactions: Ulmo
In AZ windshield replacers advertise cashback on insurance replacements, but not sure if they compromise on quality. Not sure how technique sensitive 3 replacement is? I know one tech mentioned you have to be Tesla certified and it's a two person job?

I would still do Tesla if they gave me a loaner over a weekend if there weren't quality concerns. A S owner showed me some their work in Tempe and it had glue all over the place :(

So my turn to get the crack :( Any recent feedback from AZ service centers vs 3rd partys like this Advantage Auto Glass - Windshield Replacement and Repair in Mesa, AZ

I have Nationwide, so I had to use Safelite. Initially, the Safelite operator told me that they could do the installation at my home. They called me a day before the installation day and changed the location to their shop and delay it by another week. They said because Tesla installation requires two persons, and also calibration can only be done at their shop.

Yesterday, my daughter took the car to the Safelite shop at Florin Road. They told her that it was their second Model 3 installation. In the end, Safelite tech told my daughter that my car would need calibration at Tesla SC. WTF. Safelite operator said to me that they could do the calibration???

I drove the car to my work (50miles) this morning. I noticed more wind noises. Also, autopilot is leaning toward the right side. I didn't get any error messages or alerts with Autopilot. I thought that I was going to hit a truck on my right this morning. I will drive back home without autopilot and see if it does auto-calibrate. If not, I will need to make an appointment with the Rocklin SC. Nationwide better pay for the calibration work.

Overall, not happy with this.

• Informative
Reactions: F14Scott and KenC
Got a chip in my windshield that turned into a crack a few weeks ago. Scheduled service with Safelite to seal the crack but it was bad enough that it can’t be repaired and needs to be replaced instead. Scheduled another appointment with Safelite for windshield replacement and got a call yesterday that they need to cancel my appointment because they can’t procure the glass. So then I scheduled a service appointment with my local Tesla service center (Springfield NJ) and they quickly responded that they don’t do glass repairs at that location... Just put in another service request at the Paramus NJ service center and I’m waiting to hear back if that appointment will stick or be cancelled. The earliest appointment available at the Paramus service center was January 14th... very frustrating...

I retrospect I should have asked my Tesla Service Center what third-party they recommend for windshield replacement on a Model 3. It would have saved me time. After waiting 3 weeks for a schedule appointment, my Service Center contacted me to inform me of a delay. I could bring in my Model 3, but it would have to wait in a queue for a few days, which would leave me without a car. The Service rep recommended that I cancel the appointment and contact a third-party called Blue Chip Auto Glass, which gets regular shipments of Tesla glass. I asked about camera calibration and was told that the cameras on the Model 3/Y self-calibrate...no need to return to Tesla Service for calibration.

After another week of waiting, Blue Chip sent two service reps to where I park at work. I remotely unlocked the car for them, and they completed the windshield replacement in about 1.5 hours. I did check on them halfway through the replacement and chatted with them... their business employs a few former Tesla workers. And the windshield was installed perfectly (no stress distortions).

So if you need to replace your windshield, contact your Tesla Service Center and ask who they recommend as a third-party vendor. If the vendor is good, they should have Tesla glass in stock and offer mobile service.

I retrospect I should have asked my Tesla Service Center what third-party they recommend for windshield replacement on a Model 3. It would have saved me time. After waiting 3 weeks for a schedule appointment, my Service Center contacted me to inform me of a delay. I could bring in my Model 3, but it would have to wait in a queue for a few days, which would leave me without a car. The Service rep recommended that I cancel the appointment and contact a third-party called Blue Chip Auto Glass, which gets regular shipments of Tesla glass. I asked about camera calibration and was told that the cameras on the Model 3/Y self-calibrate...no need to return to Tesla Service for calibration.

After another week of waiting, Blue Chip sent two service reps to where I park at work. I remotely unlocked the car for them, and they completed the windshield replacement in about 1.5 hours. I did check on them halfway through the replacement and chatted with them... their business employs a few former Tesla workers. And the windshield was installed perfectly (no stress distortions).

So if you need to replace your windshield, contact your Tesla Service Center and ask who they recommend as a third-party vendor. If the vendor is good, they should have Tesla glass in stock and offer mobile service.

This mirrors my experience with Blue Chip!

Rock flew up today and put a 15" crack across my windshield. Called insurance and they will cover the whole thing. I told them I wanted Tesla to do it because with the autopilot (appears they will need to re-calibrate it anyway), a camera, rain sensors, etc., I'm not sure I trust someone else. Insurance tried calling the Tesla SC near me to give them the work order and agree on a price, but they were closed.

They told me that I can go myself and they emailed the Tesla SC the claim #, etc. but the price needs to be what Safelite states is "reasonable and customary". That price is $759.09, but reading the forums, most folks say this repair runs $900-$1,100. I will have to pay out of pocket for anything above the $759.09.

Does anybody have any experiences with replacing windshields on these cars? Anybody use Safelite? Did they know what they were doing? Did you still have to go then to Tesla to get EAP re-calibrated? Any other windshield replacement outfits in Southern California that do a good job with Teslas? I obviously want the job done right, but I also don't want to get it done outside of Tesla only to have to go to them to get things re-calibrated, etc. afterward Also don't want to have to pay anything myself. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I had a large crack in my 2020 Tesla Model 3 windshield. I did a lot of research. Tesla quoted me $1,200.00. I was concerned about letting someone else do it, like safelite or another local glass company. My local glass company would not touch it. Safelite was half the price $660.00, but they cannot calibrate the cameras. My local glass company had someone who could recalibrate for $200 to $400. I finally called my Tesla tech. Instead of warning me that using 3rd parties would only cause trouble, he said that recalibration is easy. You just clear the calibration yourself, and the car recalibrates itself. He said if that did not work, just bring it in, and Tesla would do it for $20.
I contacted Safelite, and I was assured that the windshield that they would replace was of the same quality and functionality as what Tesla installs, and Safelite has a lifetime warranty, so if it is incompatible with Tesla, your covered.
So I went with Safelite. It took 1 1/2 hours. The tech said it was the second Tesla he had worked on this week. After driving off with my new windshield, the cameras were recalibrated in about 10 minutes of highway driving. I am completely satisfied, and I saved $600.

Reactions: rlb4
I had a large crack in my 2020 Tesla Model 3 windshield. I did a lot of research. Tesla quoted me $1,200.00. I was concerned about letting someone else do it, like safelite or another local glass company. My local glass company would not touch it. Safelite was half the price $660.00, but they cannot calibrate the cameras. My local glass company had someone who could recalibrate for $200 to $400. I finally called my Tesla tech. Instead of warning me that using 3rd parties would only cause trouble, he said that recalibration is easy. You just clear the calibration yourself, and the car recalibrates itself. He said if that did not work, just bring it in, and Tesla would do it for $20.
I contacted Safelite, and I was assured that the windshield that they would replace was of the same quality and functionality as what Tesla installs, and Safelite has a lifetime warranty, so if it is incompatible with Tesla, your covered.
So I went with Safelite. It took 1 1/2 hours. The tech said it was the second Tesla he had worked on this week. After driving off with my new windshield, the cameras were recalibrated in about 10 minutes of highway driving. I am completely satisfied, and I saved $600.
What did you do to initiate the recalibrate the cameras?

What did you do to initiate the recalibrate the cameras?
When I had my windshield replaced, I didn't have to do anything to initiate the recalibration of the cameras other than just drive it. It take a few miles to recalibrate I was told, and it appears to have worked. No issue with my Enhanced Autopilot functionality after just a few miles on the road.

Reactions: TulsaCoker and rlb4
the car has the ability to calibrate itself but Safelite the pos company they are will install the glass and hold your car hostage all day... they had me take it to them at 7am of if it was after 7:30 it wouldn't be done till the next day and they only do 3 Tesla a day... it wasn't put into service mode till 3:30pm out of service mode at 4:15 so only 45 minutes to replace the glass and then they just hit the recalibration button in the menu! this location in Rocklin CA has 15-16 bays for them to do glass. they are lazy workers! best part i noticed a cut from a razer on the new windshield the next morning they blamed me! so i won't use and wont recommend anyone use Safelite as they are sheisters!