Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Windshield....Teslas fault?

omf24

Oct 28, 2020
NY
My Summon feature was not working on my Model S P100D. I took it to Tesla, they had to replace a bracket on the front camera which is on the windshield.

I haven't driven the car since Friday when I got it back, other than a few minutes here and there. Today I drive to the store, and POP - the windshield just cracks. No rocks, no nothing. Just literally cracks out of the blue.

I'm thinking this could be related.

omf24

Oct 28, 2020
NY
the middle of the windshield going horizontally, it's like I wonder if they were leaning a screwdriver against it or something that compromised it.

random155

Mar 18, 2019
NJ
Good luck. Unless there is an obvious issue with what they did during the repair Tesla most likely wont cover that. However, I had a windshield replaced under warrant for delamination. Look on the corners and edges and if you see excessive bubbles your glass is delaminating. I mentioned that this is a major safety concern and they replaced my windshield under warranty. Good luck.

lloyds

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Look to see if there is an impact mark. If so, it was a rock hitting it. That's at least how Tesla service will absolve itself from liability. Got a pic?

M3BlueGeorgia

Dec 10, 2018
Atlanta, GA
My Summon feature was not working on my Model S P100D. I took it to Tesla, they had to replace a bracket on the front camera which is on the windshield.

I haven't driven the car since Friday when I got it back, other than a few minutes here and there. Today I drive to the store, and POP - the windshield just cracks. No rocks, no nothing. Just literally cracks out of the blue.

I'm thinking this could be related.

Good likelihood it is a stress fracture.

Time is of the essence though.

And, as other people have said, carefully inspect for stone damage.

Joyceandcolon

Jun 17, 2019
104 Pelican Court
In February a crack appeared in the windshield of our Model 3 while parked in the garage overnight. It wasn't impacted by anything. Two and a half weeks after reporting to dealer, told to call glass shop. Glass shop is having difficulty getting replacement though they tell me Tesla dealer has them but won't le them have one. I think this experience has been about the worst service I have ever encountered with an auto dealer. A moth and a half with a cracked windshield, still not repaired. I'm bothered both as an owner and as an investor. The WSJ has already printed an article uncomplimentary of Tesla quality. Tesla needs to watch out before the bloom is off the rose.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC