Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windshield wait time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from a quick ride and had a really big rock smash into my windshield
Try to call my local tesla dealer and can’t get through to anyone. I put it in on the app and they responded pretty quickly, however it can’t be done until the 17th of December!! Not sure why it would take that long to get them to install a new windshield but what can I do right?? Great way to start my birthday huh!?

No problems with SafeLite here in Tucson, but I actually go all the way to Scottsdale and use BlueChip Auto Glass. They keep the Tesla windshields in stock and also work with my tinter too pre-tint the windshield before installation.
Wondering how many have used Safelite for their model 3’s? Any issues? Do they have the capability and expertise to seal properly and do any recalibration needed?

Unfortunately, long wait times on replacement windshields for Tesla is the reality. They seem to break a lot of windshields, and they're only available as OEM, no aftermarket glass is available, so the combination creates supply issues.

Just got back from a quick ride and had a really big rock smash into my windshield
Try to call my local tesla dealer and can’t get through to anyone. I put it in on the app and they responded pretty quickly, however it can’t be done until the 17th of December!! Not sure why it would take that long to get them to install a new windshield but what can I do right?? Great way to start my birthday huh!?

Pic of the damage? You sure it can't be repaired? If it can be repaired, it's always better to keep the factory installed windshield than a replacement.

Last edited:
It might be able to be repaired as it’s in the middle and not my direct line of sight. That said it is pretty brutal when the sun comes out and shines through it. Starts reflecting all over like one of those crystals some people hang from their mirrors!

It might be able to be repaired as it’s in the middle and not my direct line of sight. That said it is pretty brutal when the sun comes out and shines through it. Starts reflecting all over like one of those crystals some people hang from their mirrors!

Have you ever had a crack repaired? Depending on the damage, it may become unnoticeable after the repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up having Tesla do it for me. $894.50 after about a month of waiting. No leaks or noise but I did have some minor “speckles” in an area near the top that I was able to use some clay bar to get off. Couldn’t really see it unless it was right around noon with the sun coming in but if you put a baggie on your hand and felt the glass, you could easily feel it! Works great when your detailing a car as well! Long story short my insurance paid for most of it and I only had to pay 200 bucks. Tesla even gave me a loaner even though I told them I was just working from home so I didn’t really need it.

I ended up having Tesla do it for me. $894.50 after about a month of waiting. No leaks or noise but I did have some minor “speckles” in an area near the top that I was able to use some clay bar to get off. Couldn’t really see it unless it was right around noon with the sun coming in but if you put a baggie on your hand and felt the glass, you could easily feel it! Works great when your detailing a car as well! Long story short my insurance paid for most of it and I only had to pay 200 bucks. Tesla even gave me a loaner even though I told them I was just working from home so I didn’t really need it.
Thanks! Will call Tesla tomorrow to inquire. I have read that in other threads that Tesla is directing customers to SafeLite to fix.

Wondering how many have used Safelite for their model 3’s? Any issues? Do they have the capability and expertise to seal properly and do any recalibration needed?

Not with a Model 3, but Satellite was totally incompetent in attempting to change my wife's Ford Explorer windshield. The first guy came to our house and installed it incorrectly with large gaps around the windshield. It had to be taken to their shop for the second attempt and they broke the new windshield trying to put it in. The third windshield looked like it was done correctly until a month later when during a severe storm, water started pouring in around the controls for the sun roof. Took it to the Ford dealership who said it wasn't sealed correctly and caused water damage to the electronics that control the sun roof and dome lights. If Safelite couldn't change a windshield for a common vehicle like a Ford Explorer, there is no way I would let them near my Model 3.

I used Safelite for my windshield replacement, and they did a beautiful job. The wait for a windshield took two weeks though. This was in Washington state and was about a year and a half ago. Since I had zero dollar deductible comprehensive with State Farm, it was no cost to me.