Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windshield wait time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no issues with AP?

No issues at all. In fact I had been under the impression that I needed to take the car to a Tesla Service Center for calibration after the windshield replacement, but was informed by Tesla that was not required, at least for the Model 3. The car "self calibrates" as I drive it and they were correct. Autopilot worked fine after driving a few miles. It was like nothing had ever happened. Seamless experience.

No problems with SafeLite here in Tucson, but I actually go all the way to Scottsdale and use BlueChip Auto Glass. They keep the Tesla windshields in stock and also work with my tinter too pre-tint the windshield before installation.
Huge +1 for Blue Chip Auto Glass and araxara for pointing me in their direction, although they're in Phoenix, not Scottsdale. As of 2021, Blue Chip Auto should probably just be named "Tesla Windshield Replacement." I talked to the owner, Kelly, today; 70% of their volume is Tesla, the Scottsdale Tesla Service Center sends a lot of Tesla owners to them because they can't handle the volume themselves. Blue Chip has a level 2 Tesla charger in the garage to charge the cars while they replace them, the owner drives a Model 3 himself, and significantly, they keep usually have them in stock as araxara mentioned.

I needed a new windshield for my Model 3, they gave me 3 options - wait until the next shipment of glass comes in, take one the ones they had that had a 70% tint already on it (basically clear), or take one of their imperfections (new glass they got from Tesla but that had a small defect, Tesla sends them a credit for the defect and they keep the glass around for emergencies). They also are willing to do mobile installs as long as you have covered parking (although owner said he'd do his own in the shop if it was up to him).

It's basically like getting it done through Tesla, except way better: 1) you can talk to real humans, 2) they keep them in stock, 3) they're willing to do it mobile.

I have my windshields tinted. The procedure is that Blue Chip sends the windshield to Cactus Auto Tint. Cactus installs the window tint. When the window tint is installed, I drive my car to Cactus and Blue Chip installs the new tinted windshield in my car. The replacement windshield and tinting is covered by my insurance (Allstate)