Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were driving on the highway and a truck kicked up a rock and cracked the front windshield on the passenger side of our 2021 M3. The crack is now about 2 feet long and grows a little every day. I filed with my insurance company (USAA) and they put me in touch with Safelite. Although I have an appointment for next week, they said it will probably be 4 months before they can get a windshield. Undeterred, I made a service appointment with Tesla and they said they don't have windshields, don't know when they will get them, and they'll let me know (don't call us, we'll call you). They then cancelled my service appointment.

This is my first time owning a Tesla, will service always be this bad? Any ideas on how to expedite things? Is there any way to keep the crack from spreading? I'm afraid it's unsafe to drive, and I'm sure the local constabulary would frown on a 2+ foot crack in my windshield.

Model 3s and Ys sadly go through windshields at a rate just a tad slower than tires.

To further compound the problem, no aftermarket glass exists, creating even more of a bottleneck as everyone from the factory lines to all SCs, Safelifte, and everyone else is trying to source the same glass.

Glass, quarter panels, trunk hatches, MCUs, Connectiviy boards, etc... same supply/demand problems.

Reactions: Battouttahe77
No, service will not be this bad. It is normally quite good, actually, but if there is a shortage of windshields, you can't have one put in unless it's a hazard..

I'm wondering, where's the crack? If it's not in the driver's line of sight it's not a hazard, and you can live with it for a while.

Here in CA I had my windshield replaced after being hit by a bolt off the bed of a truck. In and out while I waited. Luckily I was headed to an appointment for another issue when the bolt struck out of the blue. Of course, if I hadn't been going in for service, I'd never gotten my windshield broken. Insurance paid.

Apologies, but I must share this again. Wifey and I were in the Tesla following a truck with a pile of sand in the bed. On top of the sand was an upside down wheel barrow, and it was blowing like sixty. Add to that, that we were also driving like sixty when the wind picked up that wheel barrow, tossed it in the air, and threw it right at the car. I had maybe two10ths of a second to react, but a quick swerve and the wheel barrow went sailing by Milli's side window, head high. Glad I wasn't driving an SUV for we'd probably be dead, and at 77 neither one of us can afford that.

Who says reaction times slow down as you age?

Reactions: Battouttahe77
I had same thing happen back in June. Got on the app to set up the service appointment the same day it happened. They've already pushed my appointment back twice back. Now it's set for mid August. The crack is now about 3/4 of the way across the windshield. I've had the check from the insurance agency for about two weeks now but I won't cash it before I get the glass replaced. I'm wondering if the check will expire first and maybe I better just cash it anyway. For now, I'm chalking the delay in getting windshields up the pandemic. But it seems like people complained about slow glass shipments well before the pandemic started.

Same here…I got a crack in my windshield in June and still waiting to get a replacement. They keep changing my service appointment too. Not sure when it will be fixed. I get emails every week or so saying that the part is still pending delivery. They should really address this. I just bought my car in April too and already have to deal with this kind of service. I hope it gets better, I don’t want to have to drive like this for months…

Yes service will aways be this bad. I’ve had my model 3 since day 1 releases and it’s the worst customer service I’ve experienced for any car company, or any company for that matter.

my windshield is currently busted as well. Scheduled an appointment and they canceled it on me with no notice and said to go 3rd party. No third party has glass for model 3s.

Same here…I got a crack in my windshield in June and still waiting to get a replacement. They keep changing my service appointment too. Not sure when it will be fixed. I get emails every week or so saying that the part is still pending delivery. They should really address this. I just bought my car in April too and already have to deal with this kind of service. I hope it gets better, I don’t want to have to drive like this for months…
took me 3 to 4 weeks before they can get a windshield from tesla parts ,probably in CA. I too had the crack spread, tried super glue, I found flex tape clear, to slow down the crack from spreading (using it on both inside and outside). They suggest 3rd party, but I rather have it done with tesla, as the 3rd party would still have to order the glass from tesla and probably would not be able to calibrate the camera too ( and there might of been an extra fee to order windshield by the 3rd party)

Ugh! Same type of victim here to add to the list. A rock punched a crater into my windshield (driver side, no less). Within a few minutes, a crack went across about 18 inches. I called Safelite. They said they could replace my windshield, but there would be no guarantees that the AutoPilot or anything else involving the front vision would work. They said I'd have to get Tesla service to handle the calibration. I contacted Tesla via my app. I got a service date that is 32 days out. In the meantime, I'm going to try crazy glue and Rain-X's windshield repair kit to see if I can keep it from growing even more while I wait 32 days.

Ugh! Same type of victim here to add to the list. A rock punched a crater into my windshield (driver side, no less). Within a few minutes, a crack went across about 18 inches. I called Safelite. They said they could replace my windshield, but there would be no guarantees that the AutoPilot or anything else involving the front vision would work. They said I'd have to get Tesla service to handle the calibration. I contacted Tesla via my app. I got a service date that is 32 days out. In the meantime, I'm going to try crazy glue and Rain-X's windshield repair kit to see if I can keep it from growing even more while I wait 32 days.
hmmm, Im on the windshield list as well and the Safelite tech told the 21's can self-calibrate by going into the settings.

I've had to have *four* windshields replaced (two model 3, two model S) the last few years. Each time, my Richmond VA service center scheduled me in ten days or less. Including this last recent time, when I need the windshield *and* top glass replaced.

Richmond has taken good care of me since the place opened in 2017.

I've had to have *four* windshields replaced (two model 3, two model S) the last few years. Each time, my Richmond VA service center scheduled me in ten days or less. Including this last recent time, when I need the windshield *and* top glass replaced.

Richmond has taken good care of me since the place opened in 2017.
I got lucky. After posting this, I dropped by Tesla and asked if there were any way to get me in earlier. And they did!

There seem to be a common issue with Tesla windshields. They need a recall

ALL windshields are crap nowadays. But the fact the Tesla one is HUGE doesn't help IMO (the larger it is, the more vulnerable it is as well). The fact windshield is canted quite a bit should help in general, but the issue is the angle at which the object strikes (perpendicular to the windshield is the worst), so depends on your luck. And also on the size and hardness of the object as well. Roads where I live are full of rocks and crap, since it's windy basically all year, so that doesn't help. I have lots of chips, but none large enough to warrant replacement. And we won't use the Tesla for traveling anymore (it's a PITA), so the chances of needing a new windshield will decrease dramatically.

Finally, I have the 'calibration' option under service on my 2021. What exactly is that for? Can we avoid having Tesla calibrate whatever needs calibrating after a windshield replacement? And is there an aftermarket windshield option, or not yet? Just curious about that. I paid extra for $0 glass coverage, since most of the freaking car is glass. Ha ha. So cost is not an issue here. But with months of waiting with Tesla, want to learn of viable options if that ever happens to us. Thank you.

There seem to be a common issue with Tesla windshields. They need a recall

A recall? For what, not dodging wayward road debris?

Rock hits glass. Glass gets broken. Stuff happens.

I put a 2x6 through the windshield of our GMC years ago. Should that be recalled too?

C’mon. Lots of faults to find with Tesla but this sure isn’t one.

Reactions: Kimmi
Unfortunately, making crappy thinner windshields to save a buck or two does not constitute a recall, but it sucks. Plus they seem to be softer as well, as they get pitted super easily nowadays. And that's with EVERY automaker, not only Tesla. Nothing we can do about that.