Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Pyrex glass isn't as good as old Pyrex glass, and hasn't been for decades. It's not just windshields, the entire glass-making industry has been cutting corners.

But windshields are being made thinner, so they are both cheaper to make and lighter.

i got a 2inch crack in my windshield within 2 weeks of receiving my M3. Luckily the crack was secluded and did not expand.

My insurance deductible is $1k which is about the cost of replacing the entire windshield..not really worth it so i've been driving around with a small crack with no issues 🤷‍♂️

although, i did hear from another owner, that Tesla will offer a discount on parts (new windshield) if you file a claim with Tesla insurance even with the 1k deductible. Anyone know how this works and if its true?

I was getting off the freeway and this simi pulling a mobile home shot a rock or bolt and it cracked my windshield. The soonest appointment I can get is this Friday at Safelite but i have to go there. Not a big deal because it’s less than a mile from my home but I’m curious if this can be repaired.

Attachments

• 2A0306AE-3A2B-4D0B-8733-5178E927CE63.jpeg
    2A0306AE-3A2B-4D0B-8733-5178E927CE63.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 81
  • A10A5A93-E6BB-449F-B9E0-D5DD4E6EEB21.jpeg
    A10A5A93-E6BB-449F-B9E0-D5DD4E6EEB21.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 57
I'm in similar situation and not sure what cracked the windshield as I did not hear any rock hitting but noticed there was a crack. Do you guys get it covered via insurance or clam it from Tesla under full warranty?

your new car warranty would only cover the windshield if there was no impact point at all on the windshield. Thats pretty rare, actually. if you see ANYTHING at all that looks like something could have hit your windshield, then it wouldnt apply.

I'm in similar situation and not sure what cracked the windshield as I did not hear any rock hitting but noticed there was a crack. Do you guys get it covered via insurance or clam it from Tesla under full warranty?

If it’s small (smaller than a dollar bill) they can often just repair it and the deductible is often waived (check with insurance). I’ve done this twice on my windshield now. So far no effect of these (small) claims on my rates. I suspect windshield damage is mostly uncorrelated with any actuarial risk factor other than miles traveled.

The repairs are quite good, though I have been lucky enough both of mine were on the passenger side. Nearly entirely eliminates the spidering except at some sun angles.

I wouldn’t bother attempting the repair yourself with a cheap kit. Not worth it; having a proper kit and equipment seems important for getting the resin properly injected. Probably an expensive kit and training would work though.

Not worth the time if the repair is essentially free though! Time is of the essence of course - usually they can have it repaired in a day or two, at your home.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy
Thanks @jjrandorin for input. I didn't notice any rock hit the windshield and I'm attaching the crack pic. It doesn't look impact of stone hitting. I wonder if it's worth running under Tesla full warranty to get it replaced for free. Would be great to hear if someone has some experience around it.
Anyone get it claimed under insurance and fixed it that way?

@AlanSubie4Life You mean get it repaired under insurance? I'll check if there are some windshield crack repair services as an alternative.
Crack.jpg

Thanks @jjrandorin for input. I didn't notice any rock hit the windshield and I'm attaching the crack pic. It doesn't look impact of stone hitting. I wonder if it's worth running under Tesla full warranty to get it replaced for free. Would be great to hear if someone has some experience around it.
Anyone get it claimed under insurance and fixed it that way?

@AlanSubie4Life You mean get it repaired under insurance? I'll check if there are some windshield crack repair services as an alternative. View attachment 820115

That is, unequivocally, impact damage. The jagged edges give it away. Sorry - it’s insurance time.

PS - love your username. #SolarisForever

Reactions: jjrandorin
I gotta say... I've had pretty mediocre results with glass crack repair. I had Safelite out(for our CRV) to fill an impact that was barely the size of a dime. Wife said it looked the same after they were done. Fast forward a few weeks, and its a 6" crack and the entire windshield was replaced(yesterday), crediting the cost of the earlier repair.

Happily I live in MA, and glass is pretty much always free to repair/replace. Was amused when going through the "what happened to your windshield" question and one of the answers was essentially "I broke it intentionally!". I'm not sure how that would have affected the transaction, and I wasn't about to check!

In fairness, they came and fixed a dime-sized star in Stacy's Mom's(my 3) windshield four years ago, and it got a bit less noticeable and hasn't gotten any worse in that time.

Fast forward a few weeks, and its a 6" crack and the entire windshield was replaced(yesterday), crediting the cost of the earlier repair.
Depends, I guess. I am two for two so far, and we’ll see if the second one holds up to heat cycling over the summer. Mine were far less visible after repair though. No idea whether the damage pictured above is repairable since the delamination seems far from the central impact point.

Ok.....how'd the 2x6 end up through the windshield? Hang on, popcorn is almost ready. 😂

Sadly, it's more boring than it sounds. It was a 10' long section, so I loaded it into the cargo area on the GMC, and laid the front of it on top of the dashboard. Closed the hatch and, well misjudged its length. Pushed the damn thing right through the windshield, from the inside out.

Yeah, bringing that home to the wife and saying "look, I added a speed hole to your car!" was exciting. ;-)

Sadly, it's more boring than it sounds. It was a 10' long section, so I loaded it into the cargo area on the GMC, and laid the front of it on top of the dashboard. Closed the hatch and, well misjudged its length. Pushed the damn thing right through the windshield, from the inside out.

Yeah, bringing that home to the wife and saying "look, I added a speed hole to your car!" was exciting. ;-)
LOL!! Well, I painted the wrong house in college over summer break, so we are even. 😂

Attachments

• FAABD154-495B-4BA6-9C26-BA873D46B2AF.jpeg
    FAABD154-495B-4BA6-9C26-BA873D46B2AF.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 33