TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cracked windshield!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Han Chen, Jun 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Han Chen

Han Chen Member

I got a good size crack in my windshield. It's an interesting story but I'll get into that later. It will need to be replaced. Do I need to go to anywhere special to get this done? I'm assuming whoever I go to will need to order a windshield from Tesla.

2. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Save yourself time and energy and just go to Tesla. Any other glass shop will get it from Tesla. I hope you have a low deductible, otherwise prepare for $3k invoice :(.

3. Han Chen

Han Chen Member

Well I'm going to try to get it repaired first I guess. The problem is the closest tesla service centre is in Vancouver. I'm in Calgary

4. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

If it's bigger than a loonie then it's not repairable. Speedy glass should be able to buy it and install it in Calgary. I know speedy glass has the part number in the system, and they know it's a dealer part.

5. In2oil

In2oil Member

Oh no, the windshield is already cracked. Prior to commiting to a new windshield, perhaps you should try one of those fast chip repair shops in see in parking lots. I had one in my wife's new me and they did a pretty good job. I would recommend it, I am very pleased with the results.

6. Han Chen

Han Chen Member

I'm definitely going to try to repair it first. It's a cheap fix. If it doesn't work then I'll have to replace it. I'll keep everyone updated.

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Is there any possibility of your posting a photo of it, preferably with a coin or ruler for scale? I, for one, always am interested in those repairs, whether ultimately successful or futile.

8. Bratwurst

Bratwurst Member

Just had mine replaced at Toronto Tesla. The new cars with the cameras cost more. I was originally quoted $1600 plus tax. Was told non camera cars are $1200. When I picked it up it was $1530 all in. Service said the cost of the windshield has just dropped. Think the part alone was $860, rest was labor.

- - - Updated - - -

In response to your question, I believe any glass shop will have to get the windshield from Tesla. That was my expirence in Toronto.

9. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

$1530 all in? I'm amazed! First the tire sensors and now this? I'm glad the parts cost less than an economy car's parts!