Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cracked windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just find out my windshield has been cracked by falling ice. it looks like I needed to replace the whole glass. I just want to know if it better to be done by SC or local body shop. I have Geico and not should if they are going to cover the replacement with deductible or not. Going to them later after work. let me know if you deal with GEICO for this.

Assuming you have comprehensive auto insurance -- and most folks with an X would -- you should be very inclined to turn it into your insurance and pay what is very likely to be a small deductible. You may want to pay out of pocket to avoid the claim (I did when I accidentally put a fence post through the windshield of my Lexus), but this is not a chargeable event (from the details given) and should not count against you much, if at all.

As for whom you take it to, I'd be inclined to go with Tesla -- which your insurance should cover -- as they will more likely have the glass and they will have the experience with aluminum. And if there is a problem with it leaking some day, you want to be able to say "Only you ever worked on this."

Good luck.

thanks for the info. Spoken to SC they are going to charge $1500 to replace it. I'm still debating if I should report to insurance. Don't want premium to go up.

I'd probably just report it to insurance. My Model S back when it first came out got chipped and it was really expensive but I filed a claim and just paid a small co-pay. Also, I got in a fender bender (that ended up costing $20,000) and my premium didn't go up.

This is really the biggest downside to owning a Tesla. Everything is really expensive getting things replaced.

I spoken to insurance they said it will not raise my premium just have to pay the deductible and labor charge cap @ $40 per hour. I'm not sure how that's going to work out since i plan on bring the car to T SC.

I've never seen a labor charge cap. Hmmmm. That's interesting. I doubt one can find a mechanic these days who charges that little. If that limit is in the policy, I think you are in a tough spot. If that's an arbitrary determination by them, then get it fixed and sue them for the actual cost and throw in a claim of bad faith insurance practices if your state allows.

FYI for the Canadians in the room... I was quoted $1,500 CDN for a Model X replacement windshield - not bad at all. I was considering a protective film which was $800 but they mentioned possible replacement every 2 years or so of the film if you use the wipers frequently so I'll pass and take my chances on the replacement if needed.

Reactions: Footbag