Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracking or tick ish sound coming from glass roof when car goes over bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a tickish crackingish sound coming from the glass moonroof area of the car. This happens when I go over bumps and occurs here and there.

In my experience, Tesla cannot fix fix what they do not hear. I have a small but growing list of rattles and noises from the car, however they seem to come and go.

1) Noise from Moonroof
2) Driver side - rear quarter panel window pillar. Makes a noise (I went back there and pressed everything with my hand and noise stopped)
3) Steering wheel squeaks every other day while turning
4) Driver side door, something rattled (now no longer rattling)
5) Driver Seat Belt - small metal rattle (I adjusted the height of the seat belt adjustment and now the noise is gone

All these issues seem to come and go. What are your experiences with getting service for rattles and noises. Also, I've read some members are being told that the rattle warranty is only 1 year. My car is approaching 13K miles and i took delivery 9/19.

I recently had the roof glass replace due to a rock hitting it and cracking it on the fwy (yeah, freak accident and caught on TeslaCam as well). The replacement tends to creak/tick over bumps, however, it has been unusually cold here in SoCal this week (30-40F at night/mornings). If things warm up this weekend, I'm gonna try to see if its still there. Made an appt with Tesla for them to look at it to confirm.

The ticking sound comes from the rear seam of the front glass and is apparent when the chassis is being flexed or torqued like in a turn or onramp or off ramp of a fwy. I feel like they need to reinstall the panel bc it didn't seal correctly. Going to wash the car to see if it leaks.

Only time I have the creaking\ticking noise from the roof is when it's super cold and iced up. Temp may be a factor?

I was in Utah a few weeks ago and it was 9F and the roof did not creak or tick, so if anyone has a temp dependent tick, something must not have been installed correctly. Tesla needs to remedy. The ride is very quiet and a tick above your head is super annoying.

Is it moist/wet/icy?? I’m from Canada and every single one of my cars do that. It’s ice trapped between the gaps and seams, and when body flex, it squeezes the ice and made that sound.

My previous cars are all Honda/Subaru, so the model 3 flexes a lot less.

Guys, I may have found the culprit to the noise. The center roof section panel was not fully clipped in place on my car. I pushed up on it and heard a loud clicking sound like something seating into place. I took a couple drives after I did this and no longer heard the ticking noise over bumps. The car went back to its quiet ways. I was able to test it around 55F in the evening since the day prior, I noticed the sound was more pronounced after the temps got below 60F. I'm going to keep my ear on it for another day or two and may possibly cancel my service appointment. Hopefully that was the reason for the noise.

There is a tickish crackingish sound coming from the glass moonroof area of the car. This happens when I go over bumps and occurs here and there.

In my experience, Tesla cannot fix fix what they do not hear. I have a small but growing list of rattles and noises from the car, however they seem to come and go.

1) Noise from Moonroof
2) Driver side - rear quarter panel window pillar. Makes a noise (I went back there and pressed everything with my hand and noise stopped)
3) Steering wheel squeaks every other day while turning
4) Driver side door, something rattled (now no longer rattling)
5) Driver Seat Belt - small metal rattle (I adjusted the height of the seat belt adjustment and now the noise is gone

All these issues seem to come and go. What are your experiences with getting service for rattles and noises. Also, I've read some members are being told that the rattle warranty is only 1 year. My car is approaching 13K miles and i took delivery 9/19.
Hey this issue:

Was it the back pillar in the attached pic? I think Im having the same issue. When I go over a bump or rough road I hear like small clicking sound from that area of the car. I thought it might be the back seat release clip which is also in that area but when I shake it there is no sound. But when I press that pillar plastic casing I sometimes get the clicking sound. I have attached a pic, did u get it fixed?

Attachments

• IMG_6911.JPG
    IMG_6911.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 305
Hey this issue:

Was it the back pillar in the attached pic? I think Im having the same issue. When I go over a bump or rough road I hear like small clicking sound from that area of the car. I thought it might be the back seat release clip which is also in that area but when I shake it there is no sound. But when I press that pillar plastic casing I sometimes get the clicking sound. I have attached a pic, did u get it fixed?
I’m out of warranty now so I haven’t had anything looked at since.

They finally fixed the squeak from my steering wheel. It took 5 service visits. It was a wire harness under the frunk that was rubbing against the steering column.

After the repair that fixed the steering column. The airbag on the steering wheel was not secured properly and I opened another service request. They wanted 165 to diagnose the issue if it was actually caused by tesla or not. Then they have a new policy where if the repair is less that 3 hours you’ll need find your own ride home. No Uber credits.

Tesla service pomona or tesla service generally going to sh*t???