TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cracking sound coming from Aero wheel covers

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by z3sty3, Mar 8, 2018.

1. z3sty3

z3sty3 Member

Has anyone notice any cracking sounds from the wheel covers? I don't hear it when inside the car, but if my wife drives and I'm outside, one of the aero wheel covers makes cracking noise when it rolls. Its as if the cover is under excess pressure. At first it was the front driver's side wheel. I took it to service and they replaced the cover. Now its the back driver's side wheel. (I feel like they may have just swapped the covers).

2. wwu123

wwu123 Member

I actually do feel like when I've been in parking lots and moving slowly, I've heard crunching sounds a couple of times from the front like I ran over something brittle - which surprised me since I didn't notice anything big on the ground. And no, this was not hitting a curb or a wheel stop, just rolling slowly on level ground. Last night I got home and it looked like there was a big bulge or warping of that wheel cover, and on closer inspection it had not warped but rather had unseated on one side about 3/4". A firm slap on the part sticking out seated it firmly back in place. It didn't feel like it was loose enough to just fall off, but I wonder at highway speed whether a bump could make that happen.

In my 35 years of driving, it's interesting that I've never owned a car with "hubcaps" or wheel covers before, even the budget cars like my 1st gen Prius with its skinny 70R14 tires were on solid one-piece wheels. I look at those random wheel covers littered on the side of highways and off-ramps and wonder what happened....

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

Don't have my 3 yet, but my parents bought a Camry many years ago that had steel wheels with plastic covers and they also made some snapping noises when rolling.

4. liuping

liuping Active Member

I noticed this for the first time just yesterday. I was outside when my wife arrived home and I heard a strange clicking like sound from the Model 3. I got up close and it definitely was coming from the aero wheel covers.

Maybe that will be enough to convince my wife to go aeroless. I have the parts, but she said she likes the aero cover better. o_O

5. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Its the new NHTSA mandated noise maker for speeds <10 MPH, studies show the brittle sound of crushing bone (similar to the sound you describe) gets pedestrians to stop looking at their phone and look up before walking in front of you.

• Funny x 4
  6. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

This is one of the reasons I didn't get the aero wheels. The "covers" remind me too much of the awful hubcaps on the first car I got as a teenager.

7. TheMicster

TheMicster Member

I just received my Model 3 with aero wheels today VIN in the 19k range. I just noticed as my wife was pulling out the the covers are making a crackling sound, which is very strange to me. The only way I could imagine how what I heard is happening is if the wheal itself is expanding and contracting while the wheel is rolling. There is probably a better scientific term for what I'm trying to explain here, but it is very noticeable.

8. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Good chance pebbles or stones found their way behind the hubcap......it's an old issue.

• Disagree x 3
  9. gpxl

gpxl Member

Ours started making this noise today as well. Too late to check the hubcaps but that sounds pretty likely.

10. Devanish

Devanish Member

This is definitely not the result of any flakes and pebbles.

11. Devanish

Devanish Member

I noticed it the second I started driving the car out of the delivery center. Someone said their car stopped doing it after about 2 weeks. So far I've had mine for 8 days (400 miles).

12. mistermatt

mistermatt Member

I lost a hubcap once after hitting a pot hole on the highway off ramp. It stayed on the highway rolling along and we were never reunited. I still miss it and flash back to watching it roll away in the sideview mirror. :confused:

13. gpxl

gpxl Member

Checked all four hubcaps and calipers this morning. It's definitely NOT pebbles or stones.

14. Devanish

Devanish Member

Legion has it it is still rolling along to this very day!

15. TheMicster

TheMicster Member

I thought I noticed it then too, but I also noticed the tires squeeking against the floor, so I didn't really think too much about it. Good to know it's normal and goes away in about 2 weeks.

16. ahagge

ahagge Member

Yes, definitely noticed it. Sounds like rocks in the tread hitting concrete (or perhaps behind the wheel covers), but it's not. Likely an artifact of the attachment system. Given the number of people who hear it, it's not unique to any one vehicle (and likely not to a particular "batch" of aero covers either). So I guess we either live with it or ditch the aero covers. I'm keeping mine on for an upcoming road trip, but may pull them once its done. I have my hug and lug nut caps... ;)

17. Devanish

Devanish Member

Well, I'm told it goes away after about 2 weeks, but at present I remain skeptical yet hopeful. I plan to get the Unplugged moderate springs, I think I will like the aero wheels more once the gap is reduced and so I'd really like them to not squeak when I'm creeping.

18. TheMicster

TheMicster Member

I'd be too scared to do anything to the suspension, it rides like a dream already.

19. TheMicster

TheMicster Member

But I do see what you mean with the wheel well looks like it has a lot more room than it needs.

20. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Even though this thread is older, there was a more recent thread about this same thing. The "crunchy" sound is probably just the plastic flexing, conforming to the wheels, and settling. I noticed it the first time I pulled into my garage on delivery day and stopped hearing it after about 2-3 weeks.

• Like x 1