Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracking sound coming from Aero wheel covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed etching on the lip of my rims from the covers. I see this as as source of wear and corrosion, especially for the northern folks. I removed the covers and put the caps on for $80. My car had less than 2000 miles on it when I got rid of the covers. I did wind up with an extra set of caps.

John

My Model 3 has 1,000 miles on it. I pulled off the back aero wheel to check the rims and now I have the crackling sound. It appears to be the smaller plastic piece around the valve stem which cannot be tightened down. It crackles when I press on it. Any ideas?

My Model 3 has 1,000 miles on it. I pulled off the back aero wheel to check the rims and now I have the crackling sound. It appears to be the smaller plastic piece around the valve stem which cannot be tightened down. It crackles when I press on it. Any ideas?
Mobile service came by took the covers off and used needle nose pliers to pull of the little plastic bits in a circumferential fashion. He said they were intentional noise makers for european noise standards (no idea if true).