Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracking sound coming from Aero wheel covers

Devanish

Apr 1, 2016
Virginia
Even though this thread is older, there was a more recent thread about this same thing. The "crunchy" sound is probably just the plastic flexing, conforming to the wheels, and settling. I noticed it the first time I pulled into my garage on delivery day and stopped hearing it after about 2-3 weeks.
Yeah, I started that thread. Day 9 and I'm still crunchy.

gpxl

Apr 18, 2018
Portland
Yeah, I started that thread. Day 9 and I'm still crunchy.

Have you tried popping off your covers and reinstalling? I did that on mine to check for captured rocks. There weren’t any, but my crunching sound went away. I’m guessing the rim of the covers were rubbing the wheel.

Devanish

Apr 1, 2016
Virginia
Have you tried popping off your covers and reinstalling? I did that on mine to check for captured rocks. There weren’t any, but my crunching sound went away. I’m guessing the rim of the covers were rubbing the wheel.
yes, that was the first thing I tried and I've done it many many times.

Jdcorbitt3

Feb 10, 2016
Ocala, FL
I noticed etching on the lip of my rims from the covers. I see this as as source of wear and corrosion, especially for the northern folks. I removed the covers and put the caps on for $80. My car had less than 2000 miles on it when I got rid of the covers. I did wind up with an extra set of caps.

John

JD70

Jul 18, 2021
Plain City, Ohio
My Model 3 has 1,000 miles on it. I pulled off the back aero wheel to check the rims and now I have the crackling sound. It appears to be the smaller plastic piece around the valve stem which cannot be tightened down. It crackles when I press on it. Any ideas?

Jejunjm

Mar 26, 2021
Tucson az
My Model 3 has 1,000 miles on it. I pulled off the back aero wheel to check the rims and now I have the crackling sound. It appears to be the smaller plastic piece around the valve stem which cannot be tightened down. It crackles when I press on it. Any ideas?
Mobile service came by took the covers off and used needle nose pliers to pull of the little plastic bits in a circumferential fashion. He said they were intentional noise makers for european noise standards (no idea if true).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC