Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crackling noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I haven't been able to find anyone else with the issue I am having so posting here. When playing music from my iPhone X (iTunes, Soundcloud, Spotify...) after 5-10 min of getting into my car the audio will crackle, cut out and then come back. While the audio is cut out, the blinkers dont make a sound when turned on until the audio returns. After the first time it happens it'll start to happen every 2-3 min till I get out of the car and walk away. I have tried every restart, disconnect, power off there is and nothing works. This has really hindered my music listening and wondering if anyone out there has the same issue?

I'm on 2018.42.3 and I hear audio crackling on the radio and bluetooth from the phone. So I don't think the source is the issue.

I have other audio issues that may or may not be related:
* The radio will appear disabled. The radio station information will disappear and the text changes to grey instead of black. While in this mode, there is no sound at all. Typically stays off for 5-15 seconds. But once and a while it will stay off for close to a minute. Doesn't happen everytime. Maybe once a day.
* As reported by many folks, the audio source is not consistent when you get in the car. I normally see the iphone/bluetooth mode, but that is probably not the source when I left the car. I haven't been able to figure out if there is some logic to this or if the system is just randomly selecting a source.

Just curious if anyone who experienced this ever determined the cause and if Tesla fixed it. My wife has this happen randomly on her model 3 but I’ve never had it in mine. It never happened when the SC tried to replicate the issue unfortunately so nothing was really done except checking the speaker connections.

I started a thread about this, but I only noticed that with CNN. I don't hear any other stations from that thing, but the good news is it doesn't do it with Spotify, or any other source, so it was deemed that it was the 'TuneIn' signal. I'm not going to renew that crap. Hardly ever use Netflix, and only when supercharging, which is free now, but will expire along with premium connectivity, so will probably never supercharge again. Hope your car only malfunctions with TuneIn too. Maybe you can report it to Tesla, if it bothers you that much. Good luck.