Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crackling noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone else notice that music from tube-in will occasionally have a crackling noise in the background.

I initially thought it was a speaker issue but it only happens with tune in radio, and will go away if you pause and then unpause the current song or advance to the next song.

Is this some sort of streaming issue that happens with tune in or could this be a Tesla issue?

Reactions: karpetkutter
does anyone else notice that music from tube-in will occasionally have a crackling noise in the background.

I initially thought it was a speaker issue but it only happens with tune in radio, and will go away if you pause and then unpause the current song or advance to the next song.

Is this some sort of streaming issue that happens with tune in or could this be a Tesla issue?

Mine does the same sometimes too. I only notice it with TuneIn and not Slacker, so I'd lean towards it being a TuneIn problem.

Just had extensive test done by Tesla engineering team at Fremont SC yesterday.
It's a known bug and they are looking into this.

Every time this happens i recorded it on my phone, i've sent all the recording to the SC to be forwarded to the engineering team.

It happens through slacker, tune-in, bluetooth and even phone calls. Skipping the song or changing channel seems to be the short term solution.

There are crackling noise that either appear when I start the car, or after I take a call on speakerphone. Skipping channels will fix this problem.

Then there are problems where any streaming audio such as Slacker or TuneIn will only play thumps and static noise. This problem required a restart. I happened to be changing channels on TuneIn before leaving the car before it happened. Wonder if that is a factor in causing the issue.

Here is what I recorded with my phone, but it really doesn't capture what it sounds like in person. In the video you can hear it a bit at the beginning. Then I pause/unpause and it goes away. Do it again, and it comes back, but not as bad, then do it again and it's good the rest of the time.

Reactions: emorog
Here is what I recorded with my phone, but it really doesn't capture what it sounds like in person. In the video you can hear it a bit at the beginning. Then I pause/unpause and it goes away. Do it again, and it comes back, but not as bad, then do it again and it's good the rest of the time.

This is exactly what’s happening for those of us hearing the crackling noise.. all my videos/recordings are similar. I’ve never actually tried pause/play, I’ve always just skip to next song and it’s gone.

• Informative
Reactions: emorog
Can anyone post a sound file of it?

I get a similar "crack" from mine but it sounds like it's coming from the driver-side window/windshield rather than speakers. It happens at random times even when I'm not listening to anything. It sounds more like a glass crack but I haven't been able to find any damage.
I have had this twice now on two different songs - Crackling from the dash/windshield. But mine went away when i turned down the song. (It didn't clear out after cranking the volume either. :D )

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte