Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Crackling" Sound From Gemini Wheels

Blue Skye

Aug 10, 2020
Oregon
I thought I saw a topic on this before but I can't find it now.

I pulled into my garage with the windows down and heard the crackling sound that's common with Gemini wheels. It sounds like all 4 wheels have pebbles stuck under the covers. But when I pull the covers off everything is fine.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

jagdato

Aug 4, 2020
Boise, ID
I had a service appointment to address some items I encountered when I took delivery. Among them are the issue you described. The service tech said that they apply some kind of felt tape to the vertical contact clips to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, I had taken the caps off and forgot to replace them for my scheduled appointment, but sounds like this is their fix.

Reactions: Blue Skye

Jedibryan

Jun 12, 2020
West Richland, WA
I've heard a lot of people say the covers will eventually 'settle' and the crackling would go away. I thought for sure that couldn't be there case and I'd be hearing the crackling the whole time I owned the vehicle. However after about 5000 miles my covers did 'settle' and I no longer have the crackling sound.

Koolio46

Aug 26, 2020
Boston, MA
I heard this the other day when someone was parallel parking their new Y...man, I would hate that.

Oh, and the clown who was driving it had one of those step hitch mounts (where you insert it into the hitch receiver so you can stand on it) and he kept backing up into the space until his hitch mount hit the front bumper of the 3 that was parked. Then he proceeded to pretend like nothing happened by looking at the screen in his car.

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
This is a common issue, and they will scratch and nick your wheels, I pulled mine off, bought the Tesla cap kit, and dressed them with AO's red decals.

LTx6Z8r.jpg
I'll probably paint the calipers red to complete the look I'm after.

Reactions: srlawren

toneman82

Sep 7, 2020
Phoenix
I've had my model Y a week. And I heard the crackle for the first time yesterday driving through Starbucks. People look at your car like somethings wrong. I'm trying to think of it like the sound of some jet engine compressor blades spinning in the wind on an airliner :).

Can't wait until my matte black Tsportline rims ship.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
I've had my model Y a week. And I heard the crackle for the first time yesterday driving through Starbucks. People look at your car like somethings wrong. I'm trying to think of it like the sound of some jet engine compressor blades spinning in the wind on an airliner :).

Can't wait until my matte black Tsportline rims ship.
I'm not convinced this 'crackling' isn't part of the pedestrian warning system...!

• Funny
Reactions: Blue Skye and zecar

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC