Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crackling speaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes my model 3 makes a crackling sound from the left A pillar speaker. This is loosely related to driving on a rough highway. I say loosely because it doesn't happen on every rough road, and sometimes it happens on a smooth road. The audio source doesn't matter, I've heard it on radio, BT, and streaming. Turning down the volume does not make it stop. I'm guessing it's a loose wire or bad amplifier. I first noticed this just a few days after taking delivery. I'm hoping this can be diagnosed quickly at the service center, but unfortunately it takes about 1 month to schedule an appointment.

I would suggest you take some sort of recording of it, if you can, when it happens, otherwise, there is little chance that it will be "diagnosed quickly at the service center".

The first thing a tech is going to do is try to play some sound, and if the problem does not occur, you are going to be told "unable to duplicate issue". I am fairly certain they are not going to just replace the speaker, nor go in there to troubleshoot it without hearing it themselves. Since you say "it doesnt do it all the time, they likely wont hear it, and you will be told the above.

Reactions: llamafilm
I have had the same exact issue you described, starting from right after delivery, and yes very random overall when it happens not all the time or too often but often enough for it to be a problem needing to be fixed and feels like nails on a chalkboard when it happens.

I actually managed to catch a video of it today - I was playing music and heard it, it turned off the music when I hit record on my phone and was still crackling for a few seconds with no music coming through. Here it is: Speaker crackling

Curious if this sounds the same as yours or you found any resolution. I’ve got a service appointment coming up in 5 days. Going to send them the video.

I have had the same exact issue you described, starting from right after delivery, and yes very random overall when it happens not all the time or too often but often enough for it to be a problem needing to be fixed and feels like nails on a chalkboard when it happens.

I actually managed to catch a video of it today - I was playing music and heard it, it turned off the music when I hit record on my phone and was still crackling for a few seconds with no music coming through. Here it is: Speaker crackling

Curious if this sounds the same as yours or you found any resolution. I’ve got a service appointment coming up in 5 days. Going to send them the video.
Yes I’d say that’s the exact same thing. The service technician diagnosed and fixed it very quickly, I guess this is not uncommon. The speaker contacts rub against the sheet metal body, so he added some insulation material behind there and that fixed it.

Reactions: Jbapckfan