Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cranberry, PA (NW of Pittsburgh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropped off some Amish donuts (Maple Glazed...mmmmmm) for the Cranberry crew. They are backfilling the trenches today.

I asked about the number of bays, and there is a third cabinet on site, it was just hidden around the corner behind the trailers.

Forgot to ask about the Wheeling and Allentown site landmarks, will ask next week!

Awesome. Ask them when they expect to be live as well, please :)
See you on Friday!

Yes I will definitely get on their case about the live date soon, in case they can make the 15th. I'll let them know there are Canadians heading home from Spring break that day. The transformer has yet to arrive, and it needs to be tied in to the building service, which is going to require an outage for the hotel...that will be a task on the critical path, for sure.

Checked in with chocolate chip cookies and a free test drive for some of the Cranberry Construction crew. Foreman was busy directing a cement truck, so I didn't get to pepper him with detailed questions about Wheeling, Morgantown and Allentown sites, and whether they would be online for the 15th. The equipment operator I gave a test drive to said that it wasn't out of the question, as their electrician was arriving soon to get everything wired. The transformer hasn't arrived yet, and they are of course dependent on its schedule for being operational. She also said they were headed to Indianapolis next, for which I assume she means the Lafayette site.

She said the stalls are different than before, with chrome on the sides. I told her these are probably the LED-lighted new style, and she said they hadn't even opened the crates yet to see. They are moving fast though. They had the stanchions for a second stall in place in the short time we took a test drive.

Cranberry SpC 8.JPG
Cranberry SpC 9.JPG
Cranberry SpC 10.JPG
Cranberry SpC 11.JPG
Cranberry SpC 12.JPG

Spoke to the crew tonight, the cabinets are all in place and their finish work will be done by Friday. The bad news, however, is that the Transformer is not arriving from First Energy/Penn Power until March 24th. Unless Tesla can twist their arm, it will be several more weeks before Cranberry is online.

Update:

Cabinets still hiding in their packing crates but trenching is being cleaned up and prepped for final landscaping.
Better look at the new stanchions with their reflective sides and a hole about 1" diameter in the lower corner (perhaps for the LED lighting?)

Gratuitous picture of JakeP's girlfriend included....oh, she's a little dirty, that one.

1-IMG_0366.JPG

2-IMG_0367.JPG

3-IMG_0368.JPG

4-IMG_0369.JPG

5-IMG_0370.JPG

6-IMG_0371.JPG

7-IMG_0372.JPG

8-IMG_0373.JPG

Last edited:
Newscutter, who parked her like that with crooked front wheels? At least her handles are tucked away nicely.

DCWitt, just let me know when you are passing through. I have two folks from Canada also heading north who need charges to make it up to the border at Niagara. Depending on the weather, you might not need to stop, given the downhill from Somerset. But I would definitely like to meet you, and see Tess's clone!

Spoke to the crew tonight, the cabinets are all in place and their finish work will be done by Friday. The bad news, however, is that the Transformer is not arriving from First Energy/Penn Power until March 24th. Unless Tesla can twist their arm, it will be several more weeks before Cranberry is online.

Sorry to hear this isn't helping the spring break crew. But seems likely that it should be running by the end of the month, hopefully? I'm coming through from Somerset to Macedonia on 4/25, would be handy to top up in Cranberry.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you! I was giving rides and drives to the crew foreman and supervisor, between morning errands and kid logistics.

I'd like to use this on the way back if it's online. I'll be driving through on the 20th or 21st so it happens to come online before then, if you could let us know, that would be great! (As it takes a day or two usually to activate on the Tesla site). I'm a little concerned on the Somerset -> Macedonia given the hills so as of now it's a plan to stick to 55 mph to make this leg (175 miles looks like the distance on the map). On the way through to Somerset it wasn't an issue as it was about 300 meters descending but it definitely triggered a worry for the way back. I searched and didn't see anyone post an exact issue making this so fingers crossed ...

Hey Thxdude, I will keep an eye on it, but read above a few posts...the transformer is delayed, and will not likely arrived until the last week in March. The electrical inspection is today or tomorrow, after which the will put the backs on the stalls, and close up the cabinets. But there is no juice until the xfmr arrives and gets tied in. I'd love to see this happen earlier and be done this week, but I highly doubt it at this point, unless Tesla is pulling some strings with Penn Power. Which they may be, as they are doing test drives here next Fri and Sun...but not Sat. Would have been a great day for a ribbon cutting?

JakeP did the talking mostly with the contractors today-- so he might have updated info-- but I believe the turn on date is still sometime after March 24.

Having said that... here's an updated barrage of pictures. You'll note that despite the extra holes on the interior of the cabinet housing, Cranberry has NOT received the new LED lighted stanchions. I'm including some pictures of the cabinets with the backs removed in case that is of interest or reveals something I didn't see.

I did ask the contractor about the opportunities for upgrading the site to more chargers later and he confirmed that it is currently maximized but the electrical capacity would not be a limiting factor to adding more Superchargers... the concrete pad is the limiting factor. Whereas Somerset already has a pad large enough to add another 2 charging stations, Cranberry would need an additional pad poured. Not a deal-breaker, obviously, but worth noting that some locations are being built with additional capacity and some are not.

Another nit-picking detail I noticed was that the signage varied. Some signs simply indicated Tesla parking, but others indicated a 30 minute limit. Presumably some are therefore meant for overnight guests of the hotel? While this location is unlikely to get ICE'd, the signs with the 30 minute limit do seem to leave their interpretation open... if a non-Tesla driver were so inclined.

More gratuitous pics included because... well... I doubt anyone here minds a few extra pictures of a pretty car, right??

01-IMG_0395.JPG

02-IMG_0398.JPG

03-IMG_0399.JPG

04-IMG_0400.JPG

05-IMG_0401.JPG

06-IMG_0404.JPG

07-IMG_0406.JPG

08-IMG_0407.JPG

09-IMG_0408.JPG

10-IMG_0416.JPG

11-IMG_0420.JPG

13-IMG_0425.JPG

Transformer scheduled to arrive for tie-in on Monday, March 24. That makes the afternoon/evening of the 24th the earliest possible date for energization, sad to say. Will update if anything changes. I gave them my info and volunteered to be the test vehicle for charging, so hopefully we will be the first to be notified.

Also, note in the last pic that one of the bays is handicapped accessible. That is what the empty signpost is for. The extra space for a handicap ramp is on the driver's side (if backed in), which seems odd...wonder if they forgot that any vehicle charging there would back in? Or does it imply that they are making this a handicap spot, with no suggestion that it will be a Tesla vehicle that is handicap accessible? A Model X with the Falcon Wing door would seemingly lend itself nicely to a wheelchair ramp. Who know what variants we may see in the future.

Thanks for the info. I guess max charge at sumerset is the option at this point. It says 179 miles on the map between chargers. Hopefully 85kw pack at 55 mph with the climbs is enough. If anyone has done this segment and has feedback or suggestions, let me know. Thanks!