Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cranberry, PA (NW of Pittsburgh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I think you will see more downhill from Somerset to Cranberry on the way to Macedonia. I go fishing over there all the time in the summer, and there is a good 15-20 mile stretch that is all downhill. You can probably make it with a 85kwh even doing 65-70 the whole way...Ohio is dead flat and smooth roads.

But if you do want to top up, you can use my HPWC, I am on plugshare in zip code 15090, listed as JakeP. Just let me know you are coming, and text me when you get to Somerset and/or leave Somerset. 1.5 hours to my place from there (93 miles).

Honestly I think you will see more downhill from Somerset to Cranberry on the way to Macedonia. I go fishing over there all the time in the summer, and there is a good 15-20 mile stretch that is all downhill. You can probably make it with a 85kwh even doing 65-70 the whole way...Ohio is dead flat and smooth roads.

But if you do want to top up, you can use my HPWC, I am on plugshare in zip code 15090, listed as JakeP. Just let me know you are coming, and text me when you get to Somerset and/or leave Somerset. 1.5 hours to my place from there (93 miles).

Excellent, thanks. I'm on a 85kW so we'll give it a roll with a full charge off the Sumerset SC. We were noticing on the way through it was mostly rolling hills and not really any major inclines. Plus it was 55 for a good portion of it. So hopefully it's not trouble. If something comes up and we decide to stop, I'll give you text shout out. Thanks again.

Cranberry Twp Supercharger construction appears to be complete, including all site remediation. Transformer should arrive for Tie-in sometime this week. I will post as soon as the station is fully operational!

Note the van accessible space to the right of me here. I wonder if that hints at a future handicap-accessible Model X, or was just a convenient place to put a van accessible parking spot, and was a requirement of the leaseholder.

Cranberry SpC 13.JPG
Cranberry SpC 15.JPG

Sitting at Somerset charging at 82kW right now. Need a full range charge to make Macedonia and I sure wish Tesla had located this charger in a more "traveler friendly" spot. Really nothing to occupy time here. Delay at Cranberry really exasperates the situation.
3u6ybata.jpg

Charging tapered to about 80 kW with less than half a charge not helping either.
duzezyqa.jpg

At least JakeP being so generous removes some of the range anxiety.

On a positive note, my wife and I are returning from a trip from Illinois to Florida and back. Almost two months and 6000 miles and the car performed flawlessly. A pleasure to drive every day with no fuel costs. And we have lost count of how many "thumbs up", photo ops and inquisitive admirers we have come across. What a great car and great company!
Finally, just want to say "let's go Tesla and get these supercharges building again and please choose locations carefully. "
Can't wait to get my Model X with 120kw charging!

Just got off the phone with the Residence Inn, Transformer is being tied in today, and formal testing is on Wednesday, so expect the station to be "on the map" by Thursday.

No idea if the station will actually be energized and functional after today, but I certainly plan to find out!

Sitting at Somerset charging at 82kW right now. Need a full range charge to make Macedonia and I sure wish Tesla had located this charger in a more "traveler friendly" spot. Really nothing to occupy time here. Delay at Cranberry really exasperates the situation.
Charging tapered to about 80 kW with less than half a charge not helping either.

At least JakeP being so generous removes some of the range anxiety.

On a positive note, my wife and I are returning from a trip from Illinois to Florida and back. Almost two months and 6000 miles and the car performed flawlessly. A pleasure to drive every day with no fuel costs. And we have lost count of how many "thumbs up", photo ops and inquisitive admirers we have come across. What a great car and great company!
Finally, just want to say "let's go Tesla and get these supercharges building again and please choose locations carefully. "
Can't wait to get my Model X with 120kw charging!

Don't try to walk anywhere. No sidewalks and no crosswalks at the intersection. Tried to get over the the Harley store . . . almost got run over.

Don't try to walk anywhere. No sidewalks and no crosswalks at the intersection. Tried to get over the the Harley store . . . almost got run over.

If you watch the dashcam video I uploaded a page or so back, you'll see how dire the trip to Primanti's could be. That bridge... is a bridge too far (to walk).

JakeP and I stopped by this morning to see if the Supercharger was live yet. Alas, the stanchion played hard to get. No love yet.

However--- the big transformers were installed, meters attached, and the tamper-proof tabs were on them so they seem ready to go.

cranberry super non charger1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes. I have a sudden urge to go clean my lenses.

How's it going guys Glad to see we're almost up and running there
I sent supercharged team a e-mail telling them to look at my logs the distance is too far to get to Niagara Falls they said they were aware of this and are looking at possible sites in between they said if I knew of any to forward them just thought I'd share this in case you guys have some ideas

I told them I thought at the top of 90 and 79 would be a good spot might go down to Florida again in the summer and I am definitely going down for Christmas break already booked.
I will stop by and buy you a coffee Jake

I agree, Erie is perfect for I-79 and I-90 in both directions. I have even looked to buy land up there to lease to them, but they are much better off just leasing from one of the existing properties, for restaurant proximity. I need that desperately so I can travel north, and the east into upstate NY...it is one of the most pronounced gaps in the 2015 map!

I still can't believe you charged at my house while we were sound asleep, and I never even got to meet you. Next time!

they said they were aware of this and are looking at possible sites in between they said if I knew of any to forward them just thought I'd share this in case you guys have some ideas
I told them I thought at the top of 90 and 79 would be a good spot

Interesting... maybe I'm reading too much into the response, but I'm surprised Tesla phrased it that way. It makes it sound like nobody has suggested any of the "obvious" locations (or perhaps those locations are problematic for some reason). I would've expected them to have already gotten specific suggestions, particularly from folks here.

I don't know Erie, nor have I even been through there, but a quick glance at Google Maps shows me there's a ton of restaurants, hotels, and retail, all very close to the 90/79 interchange, at Millcreek Mall, Millcreek Marketplace, and Peach Street Square. Maybe the trick is to send them some very specific suggestions (e.g., just for the sake of argument, "in the parking lot between Eat & Park and Texas Roadhouse" or "between Steak & Shake and Quaker Steak & Lube in front of Walmart"). Has anyone done so? I certainly agree Erie is a critical supercharger location for a number of routes between OH / western PA and Toronto / upstate NY.

I sent supercharged team a e-mail telling them to look at my logs the distance is too far to get to Niagara Falls they said they were aware of this and are looking at possible sites in between they said if I knew of any to forward them just thought I'd share this in case you guys have some ideas

I told them I thought at the top of 90 and 79 would be a good spot might go down to Florida again in the summer and I am definitely going down for Christmas break already booked.

There has to be a spot on Peach street with all the restaurants ( and gas stations). It's our normal stop between Pittsburgh and Rochester.

Jamie,
I guess no one will be using our HPWCs after this week. Give me a call as you charge in Cranberry and I will share a cup too. You won't even have to buy.