Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crap..... got backed into.... help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got backed into at the bank. I was then in the car at the time, but my passenger was, in the passenger seat on the phone. He saw the whole thing. It's very minimal damage. It looks like it's just the bumper cover. Still not a cheap repair though. Her insurance is paying for it, as she was 100% at fault. So, my question. Since it's going through insurance, is it going to diminish my value? If it is really just the cover?
20161209_160955.jpg

I was told a report has to be sent into the DMV for it to show up on a carfax report, and a bumper replacement probably wouldn't be enough. I was paid out for a minor accident a few months ago and researched it, but the feedback I got was there was probably no need to file a diminished value claim. YMMV.

I was told a report has to be sent into the DMV for it to show up on a carfax report, and a bumper replacement probably wouldn't be enough. I was paid out for a minor accident a few months ago and researched it, but the feedback I got was there was probably no need to file a diminished value claim. YMMV.

No DMV report is necessary, the insurance companies have their own system(s) and share directly with each other and Carfax. (The information is much more detailed and includes how much was paid for the claim and notes on what was damaged, not that Carfax bothers to share any of that with its customers, assuming they get all of that information.)

Some body shops will even report directly to Carfax. (I assume Carfax pays them to do this.)

I can't say every insurance company will file a report every time, but you should assume they will and that your next buyer will say I see your car was rear-ended, so I don't think it is worth as much.

A qualified diminished value appraiser can create a diminished value report for you. After your repairs are complete, you can then file a diminished value claim with the at-fault insurance company. It helps, too, if you have pre-accident pictures.

I'm in the middle of a diminished value claim now.
I plan to file a DMV claim as soon as I get our X back. Asshole ran a stop sign and T-Boned me on the drivers side!

Why would an insurance company file a report that they will potentially have to pay out more money for? That seems counter productive.

Because it helps them control fraud. i.e. For example, they pay you out for fixing the bumper cover, but you don't get it fixed and someone else backs into you. The second insurance company can deny that claim since the bumper cover was already damaged unless you can prove that you got it fixed. It also helps them low-ball you when your car gets totaled in the future, as they can say well it has been damaged//repaired x times already so it is worth 30% less, etc.

And most people won't ask, or fight, for a diminished value claim so it doesn't really cost them that much more.

You have to figure that they have done the math and found it makes sense to do it. (And of course they won't file the report until the claim has been completely settled, so the report itself can't ever cause them to pay more.)

It may show up on Carfax - I now have three accidents (not our fault) to the same vehicle over a 5 year period - not one shows up on Carfax. And this is why I've pretty much given up with Carfax.
That's interesting. I had a herd of shopping carts attack my car a couple of years ago in a parking lot and the whole side of it had to be refinished (dents & paint damage). I'll be selling this car in a few weeks and I fully expect that to be listed on the carfax when I pull it, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it is not.

It may show up on Carfax - I now have three accidents (not our fault) to the same vehicle over a 5 year period - not one shows up on Carfax. And this is why I've pretty much given up with Carfax.

Same for me. I was rear ended by an uninsured motorist and pushed into the car in front of me (I was stopped at a light). $7500 worth of damage to my Volt and it never showed on the CarFax. CarMax found the repairs anyway when I sold it to them, so I still got hit with a diminished value. Never was able to recover the value because the other party wasn't insured, and my agency refused to let me claim diminished value on my own policy under my uninsured motorist.

Same for me. I was rear ended by an uninsured motorist and pushed into the car in front of me (I was stopped at a light). $7500 worth of damage to my Volt and it never showed on the CarFax. CarMax found the repairs anyway when I sold it to them, so I still got hit with a diminished value. Never was able to recover the value because the other party wasn't insured, and my agency refused to let me claim diminished value on my own policy under my uninsured motorist.

In retrospect, could you have done anything differently given the same circumstance, in order to not get screwed like this?

In retrospect, could you have done anything differently given the same circumstance, in order to not get screwed like this?

Not that I can think of. I would have had to take the other driver to small claims court to get my diminished value from them. The insurance company had already done that to try and get the repair costs back and determined they couldn't pay. Can't get blood from a turnip and all.

I could have sold it private party to get more money and just not disclosed the accident, but that's not how I roll, so I didn't want to do that.