TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Crap journalism

Discussion in 'News' started by malcolm, Jun 15, 2008.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#1 malcolm, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I had to email him with news about the TR.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

When talking about batteries, a range number is pretty meaningless unless you know something about the car they're in. More useful would have been a mention of projected energy capacity per unit volume, per unit mass, and per unit cost.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

I agree, but then we're into the pros and cons of popular vs technical journalism. The vast majority of car buyers haven't needed to think in terms of energy and power densities up until now.

But as gas prices increase, I think energy or miles per unit cost is something much more immediate which will make an impact with members of the public.

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

If we assume the R&D person is referring to vehicles larger than the Roadster, those estimates are somewhat reserved. By 2015, 300-400 miles should be the range for a 4-door EV sedan carrying 4 adults + cargo.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I think the person from Nissan was most likely referring to a pack/packs the same size and weight as they are currently using, as Nissan just had some kind of li-ion battery deal recently.

But in general, I agree with you guys about how it's mostly useless just to mention a range.