Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash Course for first responders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
I'm a member of a local Tesla Owner's Club (covers Del., SE Pennsylvania, and NJ)
Periodically, the club runs an educational for first responders class, showing them how to deal with a Tesla that's been involved in a crash, on fire, how to disconnect battery, open doors, put in gear, etc.
If you're acquainted with first responders, and want to alert them to these courses (most are enthusiastically attended, and we've received great feedback from the attendees), please let them know about Crash Course.
If interested, reply here, or send me a direct message, and I'll have someone from the club get in touch to coordinate
Thanks!
...As the number of Tesla vehicles on the roads grows, so does the chance that a first responder will need to interact with a Tesla in some capacity. Recognizing the need for first responders to safely operate and handle Tesla vehicles in emergency situations, DVTOC created "Tesla Crash Course" to provide first responders the opportunity to be exposed to Tesla vehicles first hand.

Service to our community is an important part of the Tesla Owner's Club mission. That is why we are inviting enthusiastic and experienced Tesla owners to participate in our "Tesla Crash Course" and maybe also learn a thing or two about what to do in emergency situations.

The first part of the workshop is a PowerPoint presentation given by club leaders in a classroom setting followed by Q&A. Then we all go outside to interact with the vehicles and first responders (police, fire, EMS). ...

As a retired firefighter, what do you offer on extinguishing a Tesla fire? Our past experience is WATER....Lots of WATER and lots of time. Unlike traditional vehicle fires, a fire involving the battery system is a runaway chemical/electrical event. I would attend your next convenient class.

As a retired firefighter, what do you offer on extinguishing a Tesla fire? Our past experience is WATER....Lots of WATER and lots of time. Unlike traditional vehicle fires, a fire involving the battery system is a runaway chemical/electrical event. I would attend your next convenient class.
You clearly don't want to take advice from me, I am just a volunteer, and let the firefighters play with my car during the hands on part of the presentation (sorry, you guys don't get to try out the pneumatic spreader). The club president, and a Tesla service center manager, lead the presentation. That being said, tons, and tons, of water (aimed at the battery), but in some cases, if there's not ample supply, just let it burn, baby burn. Reach out to your local fire department, and see if they'd like to host a presentation...and we'll get someone to set it up!
Keep your eye on this page to see when new courses are being offered

This is wonderful, good job to your Owners’ Club indeed. Your club might consider packaging the program and licensing it to others. I’d certainly acquire it for use in our area.
Reach out to your local 'owner's club' (just found this for NC) and see if they're interested in learning more about this program. I can put them in touch with our local club's leaders.

Reach out to your local 'owner's club' (just found this for NC) and see if they're interested in learning more about this program. I can put them in touch with our local club's leaders.
We just had our monthly meeting a few days ago…I’ll bring this up next month. Thank you for the kind offer. The club you referenced is one of three each almost equidistant from me.

Reactions: haroldo
The group will be conducting another presentation for first responders in Verona, September 23, 2023
Please feel free to share the information with friends or associates in the emergency responders community.
Volunteer cars are needed for the hands on portion (one lucky owner’s car gets picked for the “jaws of life” demonstration … LOL)