Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash impact conversations outside the forum.........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a hardware point of view, can the ultrasonics/radar on the Tesla "see" an object that is higher than the steering wheel?
Not to pick on nexsuperne, more of a general statement. It seems many people are assuming that if Autopilot could have seen the truck it could have stopped in time. Given that the truck driver turned directly in front of the oncoming Tesla, there may have been nothing it could have done to stop in time.

Having said that, a fully attentive driver that is in full control of the car may have been able to see the truck slowing down to initiate a left turn and registered that as something worth keeping an eye on, maybe even poise a foot over the brake. I know there has been some talk about position of the sun, color of the sky, etc., but surely it wasn't so bad that the couldn't have seen any of it coming if fully attentive.

To be sure, I'm not suggesting the Tesla driver deserved his fate, far from it. I'm just hoping others learn from his misfortune and keep their eyes peeled for potential horrible driving from others. I've seen truck drivers pull off some bold and rather unfriendly maneuvers, but I've seen far more car drivers do some of the stupidest driving moves ever (especially now that just about everyone breathing has a smartphone).

Let's be safe, people.

Reactions: nexsuperne101
Considering that each driver shared in the blame for the accident, it's only natural that they (or their survivors) each try to deflect blame from themselves and onto the other driver and the car. And because Tesla presumably has the deepest pockets and makes for better headlines, the blame, and the focus, will undoubtedly gravitate towards Tesla.

I fear that the innate need for our politicians and bureaucrats to "DO SOMETHING!," will result in some sort of government mandated nerfing.

Last edited:
I agree that the truck seems to have turned in front of the Tesla but the Tesla driver could not have been paying attention to the events happening in front of him. If the truck had just pulled out as the Tesla approached the intersection he would have hit the truck, not the trailer.

There are many facts that we don't know but the most critical is the Tesla's speed when the truck turned in its path. But based on the diagram I don't think the Tesla driver stood a chance, AP or not.

Just picked up my S90D last week and ALL of my family, friends, and coworkers have cautioned me not to use Autopilot. I've used the aviation analogy when explaining that Autopilot is a driver assist feature only, but only a few in my circle seem comfortable that I have it on my new car. Most think it should be disabled.:confused:

Here is the clip of me being interviewed by local news on this...started out a bit sensationalist, but the news guy became a fan when I let him drive...(he now has a Model 3 reservation). And by the way, the clip has my taking my hands off the wheel - it was only for a couple of seconds, to prove to him that autopilot was active, but that is the part they showed in the clip, of course....
Tesla owners react to news of deadly accident

Outside of the forum the reaction I dislike the most is that this is somehow related specifically to Tesla and Autopilot.

When the reality is we don't even know if it has anything to do with Autopilot.

We don't know the exact distance away the Tesla was when the truck made the turn
We don't know exactly what speed the Tesla was going (somewhere between 65mph and 90mph)
We don't know if the Tesla came over a crest in the road (reducing sight distance)
We don't know to what extent the Sun played in reducing vision
We don't know to what extent that the Tesla driver was distracted or if he even was distracted at all.

The one bit of information we do know is the AP was on, and suddenly all sorts of conclusions are made.

AP is on it becomes sensationalist news
AP is off and it's just another accident

Everything is being based on one bit of logging information. It's now known as the first fatality in a self driving car, but it's not even a self driving car. It's a level 2 semiautonomous car like lots of other cars. It's only the first because it's the only one where that info is logged.

Tesla didn't do a whole lot to rein in the sensationalism of it. In fact I feel like they try to stroke the sensationalism by trying to maintain a false sense of separation between autopilot and Level 2 semiautonomous driving.

By keeping that separation Tesla is left out to hang along with us owners. Inside a BMW is very similar tech, and MB has their own. Not to mention Audi, and everyone else who has a Level II car.

How much different was it versus any other car in it's class?

Probably not a whole lot.

I don't mind conversations about Level 2 and whether it's just a bad idea. Those are fun conversations, but you can really only have them online with people who know about the levels of automation.

Every level 2 vehicle allows for more distraction than a level 1, and a level 1 allows more distraction than an older car. I get that Tesla allows for more distraction, but this accidently only took a minor level worth of distraction to occur.

It puts me in a weird spot because I'm not a Tesla defender. Hell I love my Model S, but I make fun of a lot of things about Tesla. Like if I had a Model X I'd call it Hodor.

• Funny
Reactions: msnow