TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Crash Sensors

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by johnengland, Sep 16, 2014.

1. johnengland

johnengland Member

Hello,

Could anyone direct me to the location on the crash sensors on the Model S?

Thank you

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#2 dsm363, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Do you mean active collision avoidance or how the car tells it is in an accident once it has happened?

3. johnengland

johnengland Member

How the car tells it has been in an accident and shuts off the high voltage system. Most cars have an inertia switch but I could find nothing about them on this car. I have found information that there are two crash sensors on the car but cannot find locations or a description of the sensors.

4. Jason

Jason Member

It has accel/impact sensors right and left in: doors (these are pressure impact), 'B' and 'C' pillars, and 2 up front (pretty sure attached to front bumper carrier), all these feed the PSRCM unit (a Delphi unit by the way) behind and below the dash cubby. The PSRCM decides when to blow the battery disconnect, in addition to setting off airbags/pretensioner.
    This disconnect is for the 12v battery. Since 12v is used to hold large relay for the main pack - when it goes - all power to main pack is automatically shut off.
    Pretty sure because the pyrotechnic battery disconnect has a note that says - replace after collision resulting in airbag and/or pretensioner deployment.

5. johnengland

johnengland Member

Thank you. the information was very helpful.

6. ScottyNeutron

ScottyNeutron Member

Jason, where did you get the information regarding the crash sensor locations? Most modern vehicles use a single point sensing system typically located where the floor pan meets the firewall (at least for frontal impact sensing and deployment of the steering wheel and dashboard airbags). I would be pleasantly surprised if the Model S utilizes a distributed sensing system.

7. stevey

stevey New Member

How does the tesla tech compare to Volvo's crash avoidance tech in the 2016 xc90 ? Any other close competitors?