Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean "Automatic Emergency Braking" (instead of crash warning)? Looking at the Owner's manual (page 106), it does not show any way that you can test Automatic Emergency Braking, as it is only activated when a collision is likely (and a whole host of conditions are met, like speed of your car between 7 mph and 90 mph).

If you mean "Forward Collision Warning", that too will only occur " if a collision is considered likely" (page 107 of the Owner's Manual). So unless you are going to drive your car intentionally into a collision situation, you cannot test the system to see if it works.

I have my S75D set to medium after pop up red messages on the IC if timing anright turning vehicle. My opinion is you should be able to trigger that warning without being unsafe if it is working correctly. Not sure if it works off radar or ultrasonics or both, but it ultra then would wonder if you have PPF or coating on them that may affect?

I left that warning set at the default (standard?) and it only came on 3 or 4 times in the last 3 months. Every single one of them were a false warning where the car in front were like 2 to 3 cars lengths away and the speed were like 25 mph. I think it came on when the car in front decelerated while you are accelerating. I never intentionally tried to test it, but this could work:

1. Following the car in front and keep a distance of about 2 cars length
2. When the car in front is coming up on a stop sign or traffic light and about to hit his brake, you slowly accelerate right before he decelerates. His car should turn red and you hear the beep beep beep and see the warning message.

Couple of times I had it activated. The funny part is that the car infront of me was not so close and no remote danger of collision but on the dash the car infront of it was red. Like I was going to jump over the car infront of me and hit the next car

Couple of times I had it activated. The funny part is that the car infront of me was not so close and no remote danger of collision but on the dash the car infront of it was red. Like I was going to jump over the car infront of me and hit the next car
Or maybe like the car in front of you was going to hit it and stop abruptly? (I don't know, but that might make more sense)

Do you mean "Automatic Emergency Braking" (instead of crash warning)? Looking at the Owner's manual (page 106), it does not show any way that you can test Automatic Emergency Braking, as it is only activated when a collision is likely (and a whole host of conditions are met, like speed of your car between 7 mph and 90 mph).

If you mean "Forward Collision Warning", that too will only occur " if a collision is considered likely" (page 107 of the Owner's Manual). So unless you are going to drive your car intentionally into a collision situation, you cannot test the system to see if it works.
Great!
Check these out:

show us a Tesla results like this:

I feel like the crash warning system is getting worse as the new firmware came out. I wonder if they just give a bunch of false warnings just to make sure you are awake. Got one today I was about 4 cars length away and everyone was travelling under the speed limit. There was no slowing down or cars changing lane. The lane was straight without any curve.

I've gotten a couple forward collision warnings in 2018.20 since I last posted here, but they have all been related to the vehicle ahead of me slowing down. I wasn't likely to hit them in any of the cases, but the warning did actually allow me to slow down / stop a little smoother than I would have otherwise. It is a pretty annoying sound, but I think I actually appreciate it. Perhaps they've adjusted it based on what they're seeing in data they collect and low would be a better option for some people than it was a few versions ago.

Reactions: Acho