Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Craters of the Moon, ID in a Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done some searching here and other places and haven't really found a good account of a Model 3 trip to Craters of the moon. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's done it either through Hwy 26, hitting Twin Fall and Idaho Falls SC's or in and out from one side or the other. The car seems convinced I can do it, by charging likely to max in Idaho Falls, hit the monument and arrive at the Twin Falls SC with 27%. ABRP indicates it'll be tighter, saying 9%. ABRP knows about the weight of my family of 4 and gear in the trunk, elevation etc. so perhaps I should trust it more? There are some L2's up in Bellevue and a couple campgrounds in Arco but I'd rather keep those for a backup plan only to keep a good schedule. Anyone done this in an Model 3P care to chime in on how it went? I'm planning 3,100 miles and right now this is the only part that gives me any pause at all.

Looks like 182 miles from the Idaho Falls supercharger to CotM to the Twin Falls supercharger. Plus however much driving around you plan to do at CotM. Should be doable with a full charge and some reasonable careful driving (don't speed), especially in summer. It's easier in the listed direction because it's downhill. Starting in Twin Falls and finishing in Idaho Falls would burn approximately 17 more rated miles than the reverse.

Upvote 0
The car knows about elevation, too, and the weight is less of an issue than most think.

I've found that for my MYLR, the car is always closer to accurate than ABRP. That could be my ABRP settings. But if your spread is 9 to 27, you'd have to abuse the throttle to end up short.

It's really a shame we don't have L2 chargers at the trail heads and visitors centers of all the national and state parks. It seems like such an obvious thing at this point.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'll be going east so plan to start in Twin Falls. It seems that I may well be able to cut south and hit the SC in Pocatello and skip Idaho Falls. Also, how did you calculate the below? I'd like to learn something today.
Just a rule of thumb, but roughly speaking each 100 ft in elevation gain costs you an additional 1 rated mile. Regenerative braking is not perfectly efficient so dropping 100 ft in elevation only gains you about .7 rated miles. The Idaho Falls supercharger is about 1000 ft higher than the Twin Falls supercharger. The precise elevations are easily accessible on supercharge.info by clicking on each of the red dots.

One thing working in your favor in the direction you are traveling is that you are unlikely to be driving into a headwind whereas in the opposite direction you might have faced one. Generally speaking where you really have to be careful is when you are driving both uphill and into a wind, like driving on any of the major interstates east to west across the High Plains for example.

Lastly, I agree that, depending on consumption and how much you drive around CotM, you may be able to skip Idaho Falls and drive directly to Pocatello if that is the direction you are heading. It's only 12 more miles and at basically the same elevation as the Idaho Falls supercharger. That can just be a decision that you make as you approach the intersection of US-20 and US-26.

Upvote 0