Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crawley Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as it shipped ready for CCS or has had the retrofit that enables charging with CCS

AND

you have the adaptor that goes from CCS to the custom Type 2 you have in your Model S.

Sorry your reply has confused me! I thought I'd asked a simple yes/ no question.

Not realising the response was so conditional. Please illucidate for a non-techie like me, who's struggling to understand your acronysms & their meaning?

Very little in this world has a yes/no answer.

By default the Tesla connector will NOT work with the new v3 chargers.

In order for that to happen, your car needs to either be relatively new (I think after 2018) or have had a retrofit to allow an adapter to work.
The adapter converts the CCS plug (which is the standard plug used for rapid charging in Europe and the only one available in v3 Superchargers) into the Tesla plug for use in model X and S.

@Fab-fours if that's your car in your profile you will need to have the retrofit work done by Tesla. I think it costs £280 and involves adding some gubbins to the equipment that lives under the rear seat. There's also a tweak to the software. The cost includes the adapter which attaches to the end of the V3 cable before plugging into your car. Here's a pic:

1-rRRt9K3.jpg

It's a fraction of the size of the CHAdeMo adapter, if you are familiar with that.

Once you've had the upgrade done your car will show V3 Supercharger sites on the car Nav, until then they won't show up as the car knows you can't use them. IMO it's a no brainer upgrade and future proofs your cars charging options - all new Supercharger sites will be V3.

• Informative
Reactions: Stuart1714