TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Crazy Amps Toward End of Supercharging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by travwill, Sep 5, 2015.

1. travwill

travwill Member

#1 travwill, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    So right around the end of supercharging my 70D to 100%, around 238 miles, trying to get to 240, I had the amps really move around a lot for a while. It did end but is this normal at all? Is it charging different batter packs/cells at different rates to level the entire battery? They did seem to continue to decrease in number for a while (e.g. 7 became 6, 15 became 14, etc or at least it appeared that was occurring)...

2. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

That certainly does not look right. In my experience it doddles around 8A, flipping occasionally to 7A then staying on 7A, then it stops.

I would share this video with Tesla Service to see what they think. They can look at the logs for your car and for the Supercharger you were at, to see what is going on there.

3. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

#3 Pete90D, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I commented on seeing this too... Power Fluctuation

Did you notice the dashboard fluctuating even faster? mine seemed to. I thought this might be something strange at the low end, but when I recorded the supercharging session the other week I saw the amperage go crazy when I was at a lower SOC. Last graph on the page... P90D Supercharging Data

I asked the lead technician at a service center and he said he would try to get an engineer to contact me about it, but so far I haven't heard anything.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My non-D tends to vary by 3-4 amps at the end of the Supercharge, but if I let it continue until "charging complete" it eventually goes down to 1/0 amps. Perhaps the dual motors cause a larger fluctuation. I don't have any hypothesis as to why they would, but it's possible.

Any D owners notice the same thing?

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The only time I've seen a large variance in amps at the end of a supercharge session is when the HVAC is cycling.

6. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

I've seen the 3-4 amp jump when it gets close to the end in both D and non-D cars, but this was noticeably different. It also had the variance at low SOC.