Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy low temps , low of -26 high of -16 tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to be record temps tomorrow in Chicago. We are looking at a low of -26 f and a high of -16 f. Has anyone ever driven their model S in these kinds of temps? I know the manual says not to leave it out in temps below -20 for over 24 hours and that shouldn't be a issue.

It will be interesting to hear what your kWh per mile efficiency ends up being after a day in that cold. Please let us know if you don't mind sharing.

Ya I'm lucky I don't have a long commute. Even today pre conditioning the car I was over 560wh/mile and it was -2. I'm really concerned about the weather damaging the battery. I'm lucky to have a super charger close by that I can hit during lunch to get extra juice.

Reactions: Dre78
I've been through this two years now. No issues. I precondition while plugged in which helps my wh/mi on the way of my 50 Mile drive to work. I start heating about 30 minutes before I leave work or 45 if it's snowing and drive 50 miles back. No issues driving or with battery. The issues I have had were frozen door handles and ice covers the radar and sensors and limits tacc and park assist. I leave range mode off and always connected on to allow the vehicle to not go to sleep and allow the battery to get too cold.

I've been through this two years now. No issues. I precondition while plugged in which helps my wh/mi on the way of my 50 Mile drive to work. I start heating about 30 minutes before I leave work or 45 if it's snowing and drive 50 miles back. No issues driving or with battery. The issues I have had were frozen door handles and ice covers the radar and sensors and limits tacc and park assist. I leave range mode off and always connected on to allow the vehicle to not go to sleep and allow the battery to get too cold.

Thanks for the info. Ya snow makes the sensors go crazy. Mine were covered yesterday and it kept beeping like I was going to hit something. Had the back windows free up also so was hard to open and close the doors. Pre condition the car coming to work every day for about 20min which helps a ton. Wish I could plug in at work so only heat it up for 10min here. Have a pretty short commute so not as worried about energy use as damage to the battery from the extreme cold temps.

Reactions: Dre78
I love my S. Love it. Best car I've ever owned, without doubt... but it is better in the summer than the winter.

I keep mine garage parked in my partially insulated garage and at work I park in an underground garage so that can mitigate some of the cold but I reguluarly experience 40% range loss on the coldest winter days.

It's going to suck. You probably should avoid driving if you can. If not, plug-in as much as possible.

I love my S. Love it. Best car I've ever owned, without doubt... but it is better in the summer than the winter.

I keep mine garage parked in my partially insulated garage and at work I park in an underground garage so that can mitigate some of the cold but I reguluarly experience 40% range loss on the coldest winter days.

To be fair, you have a 90 pack, so you start out with 10% range loss :p

Don’t worry about it too much. Keep it plugged in and it will take care of things. If you cannot plug it in overnight, leave some extra charge in the battery so it can warm itself up if needed.

Expect mane 50% of the range if you are making a number of short trips. If taking a long trip, then range will be about 2/3 normal.

I've driven my 2014 S at -20f on a few occasions. 50% range is a reasonable guess, I did not have any problems beyond the reduced range. It helps a lot to have your car plugged into a regular household outlet at least. For the Tesla owners who don't have a a garage and a level 2 set-up, maybe you can find a 110 on the side of a house, base of a streetlight, something like that.

I'll probably go for a drive tomorrow night just to see how things go, its supposed to be -29f here.

Reactions: croman
If you do a lot of short trips it will consume 50% more but if you do one long trip you can expect a 30% decrease in battery capacity. The good news is that the car will easily start up, especially comparing to ICE cars. Regen will be deactivated so be careful but otherwise there really isn't a problem. The model s is a great car in freezing temperatures. Last week we got -35 celcius which is -31 in F and the car didn't have issues

Reactions: jboy210 and croman
Going to be record temps tomorrow in Chicago. We are looking at a low of -26 f and a high of -16 f. Has anyone ever driven their model S in these kinds of temps? I know the manual says not to leave it out in temps below -20 for over 24 hours and that shouldn't be a issue.

These next couple of days in Chicago are going to be tough. To make matters worse, Tesla has not transferred over my car so that I have access to the tesla app, so I am unable to pre-heat / pre-condition. Brrrrrr!

Yup. Regularly. No issue. You do lose range, but if that's not an issue, there's nothing to worry about. It was -38 here yesterday, and it performed like a champ. I like the instant heat and ability to tell the car to warm up the interior 10 mins before leaving.

Yes, many places in northern Norway, inland , like Setermoen, Kautokeino, and even Alta have such "crazy" temperatures regularly during a winter.
Of course, the population have some education, so they use Celsius , which gives even lower number :)

Actually -40C and -40F are the same temp. Up here we (Sudbury Canada) we hit -30 usually a couple of times per year and -20 regularly during Feb and Jan. Every few years get a -40. Teslas have no issue at all with those temps. Except for the range of course.