Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy noise from my CPO 2014 S85. Anyone ever hear this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See attached video. I just picked up my CPO this past friday. and everything was great. Then today all of a sudden this noise started while i was driving so I pulled over and put it in park and got out of the car and back in and the noise continued. It wasn't until I held down both scroll wheels and rebooted that the noise went away. Worked fine after that.

Should I bring it in to the service center? anyone else heard this?

I recall having a similar issue once, more than a year ago. The music player hung/crashed while playing a stream, and was stuck in an endless audio loop. Had to reboot the center display, just as you did.

Your video seems to confirm my suspicion; the music player seems confused about whether it's playing something. The "Today's Hits" stream is apparently not playing, since the Play icon (right-pointing arrow) is visible. However, the gray square below the Favorites and Recents list has the superimposed speaker icon which indicates that it's currently playing.

So, my guess is that a sample of "Glorious" got stuck in a loop, and the reboot killed the stuck process which was playing it.

Last edited:
I recall having a similar issue once, more than a year ago. The music player hung/crashed while playing a stream, and was stuck in an endless audio loop. Had to reboot the center display, just as you did.

Your video seems to confirm my suspicion; the music player seems confused about whether it's playing something. The "Today's Hits" stream is apparently not playing, since the Play icon (right-pointing arrow) is visible. However, the gray square below the Favorites and Recents list has the superimposed speaker icon which indicates that it's currently playing.

So, my guess is that a sample of "Glorious" by Gemini got stuck in a loop, and the reboot killed the stuck process which was playing it.
Thanks so much. makes perfect sense!

I actually had the very same issue on the first day I bought my used Model S. Purchased a 2015 90D with about 19,000 miles.
Was on a 500+ mile road trip and my car went into this blitz mode in the middle of a navigation instruction playing through the sound system. I called my local service center and let them listen to it on my speakerphone. The tech knew exactly what it was right away. The first thing he had me check was the trip counters. My trip A and trip B counters were both equal to the odometer (in my case around 19,000 miles). The tech told me that sometimes when those counters get to be really high they will trigger this type of infinite CD-skipping sound. In my case if I made a call on the bluetooth, the sound would stop and the audio from the phone call would play perfectly. As soon as the phone call ended, the noise would resume.
So once we reset the trip counters, the tech had me perform the same soft reset you did. Sound went away and hasn't come back since. The tech recommended periodically resetting the trip counters after 5k-10k miles at most, and to perform the soft steering wheel reset once a week.

The tech recommended periodically resetting the trip counters after 5k-10k miles at most, and to perform the soft steering wheel reset once a week.
I've been around a while and I have never heard of this, one of my cars has 39K on the B trip meter and the other has 28k and I've never had an issue with the audio. I've also only had to reboot a handfull of times with two cars in 2.5 years, once a week seems excessive.

I've been around a while and I have never heard of this, one of my cars has 39K on the B trip meter and the other has 28k and I've never had an issue with the audio. I've also only had to reboot a handfull of times with two cars in 2.5 years, once a week seems excessive.

Yeah, the "trip counter" thing is a myth. If a simple counter displayed on the screen causes the audio to wig out because the "number" is too large, I really wouldn't want to be driving a car with software that buggy!

I think that myth started a couple of years ago when people were complaining about the MCU/touchscreen response being slow. Some "tech" at Tesla told someone (and no, I'm am NOT making this up) that the trip counters don't just count miles, but they store each individual trip as a separate record, and the trip odometers have to "add up" all the miles for all the trips to display the total mileage, and by resetting the trip odos, you can clear out all that memory of thousands or records.

That is just so wrong on so many levels, I can't even. But I guess the myth lives on.

For 99.99% of all computer problems (not just Tesla) a simple reboot will fix them. No other crazy theories or myths needed.

Step #1 always is: REBOOT!

upload_2017-12-9_9-42-59.png