Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy: windshield replacement -> bricks climate system -> bricks right front passenger door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting this story because it is a case of surreal Tesla engineering that just defies imagination.

At end of January I woke up to my 2021 LR Model S with an end to end horizontal crack in my windshield that seemingly came out of nowhere while sitting overnight in a driveway in Stowe VT. Low double digits and pre-condition defrost must've stressed it. ~3 weeks later, I was able to take it into Tesla service center for replacement, where it was determined to be a warranty repair. So far so good.

Separately, after driving it home, I noticed that the right front passenger door handle was stuck in the retracted position and no longer worked. I'm on my 3rd Model S lease and have seen all 3 cars needing one or more door handle servo motors failing and needing warranty replacement. Still, weird unlikely coincidence that it breaks the same day I get my windshield replaced, but I am hard pressed to imagine a connection.

On my next drive later the same day, I realized that the car's climate system has also stopped working. The only way to get heat is to use defrost or set temp to HI, only way to get AC is to set temp to LO. This is a huge new issue in the middle of winter. Another, even stranger coincidence.

The Tesla mobile tech came today to fix both issues. He replaced the passenger door handle with a brand new part, but it still didn't work. He searched deep into the bowels of Tesla's internal documentation and discovered an astonishing connection. The controller board for the climate system is housed inside the front camera unit (he already knew that). The OEM windshield replacement comes with a new front camera unit already attached to the windshield, so that it is aligned and calibrated (he knew that too). What he discovered is that a bad climate system controller board also stops the front right passenger door handle from working. Not any other door handle, just the front right passenger handle. WTF!! What kind of idiotic engineering design is that??? If people were wired like that, an eye infection would also cause your big toe to swell up. So I wasn't crazy. A glass windshield replacement caused an otherwise fine front right door handle to break and the entire climate system to fail.

p.s. I wouldn't be surprised if the genius engineer who designed this controller board is now running the server farm at Twitter...

It's definitely bad engineering, but it probably was done that way because somehow it saved a few pennies in manufacturing. Tesla are definitely hard core on saving money.
In this case Tesla service had to pay for several hours of mobile service to unnecessarily install a new retractable door handle, research why that didn't fix things, etc. It's such an unlikely and obscure paired relationship that it no doubt costs more $$ to diagnose and service than it saves, if that is even the reason it was done this way.

In this case Tesla service had to pay for several hours of mobile service to unnecessarily install a new retractable door handle, research why that didn't fix things, etc. It's such an unlikely and obscure paired relationship that it no doubt costs more $$ to diagnose and service than it saves, if that is even the reason it was done this way.

And that's why you're not some big wig executive at automobile manufacturer getting paid the big bucks. 🤣

If building the car that way saves money on every single car produced, but only costs more on the few windshields that are replaced under warranty, then it's still a huge win and you would have gotten paid a big bonus. Besides, how many of those situations like yours does it take before they update their diagnostic information in the service centers so it's a quick fix?

And that's why you're not some big wig executive at automobile manufacturer getting paid the big bucks. 🤣

If building the car that way saves money on every single car produced, but only costs more on the few windshields that are replaced under warranty, then it's still a huge win and you would have gotten paid a big bonus. Besides, how many of those situations like yours does it take before they update their diagnostic information in the service centers so it's a quick fix?
But wait. Why are we assuming this was done for some smart money saving reason? Only the right front passenger side auto-present door handle, but not all of them? Or maybe two or three of them? How much compute power can a door handle use that they could only control 1 of 4 with the climate control board? Maybe it's just a weird engineering decision that was never reviewed.

Steve.. if you didn’t watch Investor Day yesterday, I think you’d love it. But check out the part about their wiring harness on the older design cars.. it’s a mass of spaghetti with controllers everywhere! Looks like distance to the actuators of the control units is A big design consideration, not the functions performed.
Also check out the Software section. Fascinating!
I will pick up a red 23 Model S Monday… hopefully I won’t have a cracked windshield anytime soon !

Posting this story because it is a case of surreal Tesla engineering that just defies imagination.

At end of January I woke up to my 2021 LR Model S with an end to end horizontal crack in my windshield that seemingly came out of nowhere while sitting overnight in a driveway in Stowe VT. Low double digits and pre-condition defrost must've stressed it. ~3 weeks later, I was able to take it into Tesla service center for replacement, where it was determined to be a warranty repair. So far so good.

Separately, after driving it home, I noticed that the right front passenger door handle was stuck in the retracted position and no longer worked. I'm on my 3rd Model S lease and have seen all 3 cars needing one or more door handle servo motors failing and needing warranty replacement. Still, weird unlikely coincidence that it breaks the same day I get my windshield replaced, but I am hard pressed to imagine a connection.

On my next drive later the same day, I realized that the car's climate system has also stopped working. The only way to get heat is to use defrost or set temp to HI, only way to get AC is to set temp to LO. This is a huge new issue in the middle of winter. Another, even stranger coincidence.

The Tesla mobile tech came today to fix both issues. He replaced the passenger door handle with a brand new part, but it still didn't work. He searched deep into the bowels of Tesla's internal documentation and discovered an astonishing connection. The controller board for the climate system is housed inside the front camera unit (he already knew that). The OEM windshield replacement comes with a new front camera unit already attached to the windshield, so that it is aligned and calibrated (he knew that too). What he discovered is that a bad climate system controller board also stops the front right passenger door handle from working. Not any other door handle, just the front right passenger handle. WTF!! What kind of idiotic engineering design is that??? If people were wired like that, an eye infection would also cause your big toe to swell up. So I wasn't crazy. A glass windshield replacement caused an otherwise fine front right door handle to break and the entire climate system to fail.

p.s. I wouldn't be surprised if the genius engineer who designed this controller board is now running the server farm at Twitter...
How did they eventually fix the problem?

I had this exact thing happen. New windshield and passenger door handle and climate system failed. In my case it WAS NOT a hardware issue. Car just needs to have newer firmware than the glass. Tesla acted as though my 3rd party glass installed screwed up and ordered a bunch of parts. I received a new software update and all was fine after the install. No service required at all. Interestingly the first thing the tech asked my was "did you get a new windshield?" The were going to charge me because of the 3rd party install. All I know is that firmware update fixed it completely...

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ

So, did he say how the controller board actually 'stops' the front right door handle from working? Do they write to neighboring memory spaces, have neighboring channels on the communications bus, or something? It doesn't sound like it was a wiring issue because a firmware update won't fix that.

I had this exact thing happen. New windshield and passenger door handle and climate system failed. In my case it WAS NOT a hardware issue. Car just needs to have newer firmware than the glass. Tesla acted as though my 3rd party glass installed screwed up and ordered a bunch of parts. I received a new software update and all was fine after the install. No service required at all. Interestingly the first thing the tech asked my was "did you get a new windshield?" The were going to charge me because of the 3rd party install. All I know is that firmware update fixed it completely...
I was able to resolve this issue at home via reinstalling latest firmware via placing the car in service mode. Once the last firmware was uploaded onto the car, the right front door handle presented itself without issue.

Dude no joke i have had my 2023 Model S for 30 days and its been in the shop the entire time with 9 service tickets. 3 windshields, right front door lock, climate keeper fault etc etc....i'm asking for a LEMON

IMG20230809152341.jpg

Just incase it helps anyone, I had my Model S front windshield replaced a couple of weeks ago and I didn't realise at the time but the RH indicators weren't working correctly(Flashed rapidly) and then when it got dark I noticed that just the RH drivers side main beam was on..It was the only light...and its been on solid for the past two weeks ! I tried all the resets, battery disconnects and firmware installs and even popped a new light in there with no success.
Finally managed to get it booked back in to the windscreen chaps and it turns out that one of the wires has come off the auto light sensor pcb ...once that board got disconnected the problem has gone away (except auto lights don't work at the moment) Just now waiting for them to get a new board and fit and all should be well