Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creak from rear suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 M3P here. Car is lowered on Eibachs. I am hearing a creaking sound when entering my driveway and on other inclines. Creak is on rear passenger side. Happens when the front of the car is raised on the driveway or other inclines. So front of the car goes up, creaking in the rear. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Remove Eibachs, replace with stock springs, see if sound goes away. If it does, its the Eibachs causing the issue in some way. If the sound remains, set service appt. with Tesla and have it addressed under warranty (which will be easy now because you re-installed your stock springs).
Thanks. Easier said then done. Removing the springs will cost me 400 and putting them back on will be 400 so this isn't an ideal solution.

Thanks. Easier said then done. Removing the springs will cost me 400 and putting them back on will be 400 so this isn't an ideal solution.

Place a small action camera in various areas where you suspect the creaking is coming from and record the visual and sound from each suspected area to pin point the noise. A GoPro within a nonwater proof case with proper mounting accessories works well here. I used this approach to diagnose a screeching/squeeking sound that multiple mechanics and dealerships couldn't diagnose with my wife's Honda Pilot. I was able to determine it was the right front axel needing to be replaced via this method. Try that.

Was this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue with my SR+ rear pass side creaking noise. Had my Eibach springs installed for about 3 months. Creaking stated a about 4 weeks ago.
Nope. Still creaking. Same location as yours. It hasn’t gotten worse so I haven’t let it bother me. I plan to get it to the shop to look but I’m not swapping back to stock to test it. Too expensive. I’ll live with it unless it worsens.

Reactions: rrfitness
2021 M3P here. Car is lowered on Eibachs. I am hearing a creaking sound when entering my driveway and on other inclines. Creak is on rear passenger side. Happens when the front of the car is raised on the driveway or other inclines. So front of the car goes up, creaking in the rear. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?
The creaking corner is fully or near fully compressed when you hear the noise?

Yes. I’m not sure. Maybe but it’s only on the rear passenger side. It only happens for me when the rear squats in reaction to the front going up.
MY first reaction is: Lubricate that whole section with a penetrating spray lubricant. It is likely that in your install something is just a wee bit off and might be scrubbing.

Reactions: clerks
Will do. Would that be a defect?
Yes and no, depends on the design of the spring. Progressive rate spring may have some coils closer to each other and some further apart. On this design the closer coils may bind when the suspension is compressed and cause a noise. Some manufacturers have spring insulators/sleeve to prevent noise(attaching a photo). On some lowering/sport springs there is a helper portion of the spring that is meant to fully compress with the weight of the vehicle on it, that is okay.

Attachments

• Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Linear-Lowering-Spring-Set-for-Tesla-Model-3-Image-1-3-1200x846.jpg
    Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Linear-Lowering-Spring-Set-for-Tesla-Model-3-Image-1-3-1200x846.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: clerks