Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking/crackling/clicking from left rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that does NOT sound “normal” to me, though I would say noises (like creaking and cracking and clicking) in my experience have been common place in my Model S and I see others feeds in this, with similar accounts (mine is 2018 100D).

It’s a bummer as I’ve loved my S but just wish this realm didn’t exist...as you can’t un-hear it once you key in on it/hear it.

Mine however have been associated with creaking/clicking the front suspension area generally (and separately, somewhere around the rear view mirror/headliner area as well) versus what your experiencing.

That is Loud and repeated.

Have you tried taking it to/asking service center troubleshoot it?

Reactions: aerodyne
I agree that does NOT sound “normal” to me, though I would say noises (like creaking and cracking and clicking) in my experience have been common place in my Model S and I see others feeds in this, with similar accounts (mine is 2018 100D).

It’s a bummer as I’ve loved my S but just wish this realm didn’t exist...as you can’t un-hear it once you key in on it/hear it.

Mine however have been associated with creaking/clicking the front suspension area generally (and separately, somewhere around the rear view mirror/headliner area as well) versus what your experiencing.

That is Loud and repeated.

Have you tried taking it to/asking service center troubleshoot it?

Wanted to check here first. The service center is a 16 hour round-trip drive and I don't have time for that right now.

Would it make the sound from a standstill if you bounce the suspension (by jumping in the trunk for example...)? Or is it strictly associated with motion?

If it happens when bounced at standstill, my guess would be a suspension bushing or bearing. If it only happens in motion, then it's likely a driveline component like an axle, wheel bearing, caliper, etc.

For these types of issues there's really nothing special about a Tesla. You should be able to take to to any shop with a lift and have them pick it up off the ground to help diagnose the sound.

Reactions: VegarHenriksen
@VegarHenriksen is this resolved, and if so, what was the solution. I have the exact same sound...
I drove to Tesla and it was still creaking outside the service center. They took it in and did a test drive and then took it up on the lift to check for wear. They came back with "Noise could not be replicated, no suspension slack" and the noise was gone - never heard it since. Best of luck!