Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking - Driver's Side Front Wheel Well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a creaking sound when I push down on the front of the car or when driving at slow speeds or turning the steering wheel. Service center said lower control arms would fix it but it didn't. Hoping someone here can help me out. The sound is quite embarrassing..

2013 S85. Just had drive unit replacement and lower control arms replacement.

Hesitant to go back to service center because I have Openpilot (they questioned me about it while replacing my drive unit)

Your bushings in either upper or lower could be causing the noise. The lower control arm #14, only has one bushing. Upper #3 has 2. The noise would be the bolt twisting inside the bushings. Its corroded an squeaking. Number 8 adjust your toe, it has one bushing. Knowing u already paid for lower, I would forget unless u really want noise gone. Se attached parts page.

Attachments

• 20200427_165428.jpg
    20200427_165428.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 200
I do all my own work. I mean put in Jack mode. A go for it on Saturday. I have to chg left lower, ball joint is worn to much for perfect alignment. Working on the mechanical stuff ain't no different than any other car. Just need a lot of metric tools,. Had to go buy a 18mm socket to change front hubs. I'm changing both rear axles soon. I have a slight vibration at 73mph. Changed all 4 wheels/ties, still have it, so it's a CV joint going bad.

• Helpful
Reactions: jobiggs24
If you have access to a stethoscope you can place it on each control arm bushing as someone pushes on the car to create the creaking noise. Since the noise is very noticeable, you could also put your finger on the bushing and you may be able to feel the friction in the affected bushings.

I had replace both sway bar links on my 2013 Model S with 180K miles. Very east=y job.

• Helpful
Reactions: jobiggs24