Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking from Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone.
My 2019 Model 3 SR+ seems to have a creaking sound coming from the center console.
Has anyone heard this type of a sound? Any ideas where it’s coming from?

I’ve found sometimes when it starts creaking, if I hit the side wall it seems to stop but other times it keeps going.

Pretty common. When my M3 was new mobile service removed the side panel and applied foam Insulation tape along the edge to create a pressure fit when it was put back on. Eliminated the creaking noise. Later the same issue came up on the other side. I just bought some foam tape at Home Depot to do the same on that panel and it worked just as well as the mobile service technician except I didn't have to wait for service.

Pretty common. When my M3 was new mobile service removed the side panel and applied foam Insulation tape along the edge to create a pressure fit when it was put back on. Eliminated the creaking noise. Later the same issue came up on the other side. I just bought some foam tape at Home Depot to do the same on that panel and it worked just as well as the mobile service technician except I didn't have to wait for service.
Thanks for the information. This is a great idea!
Where exactly are you putting the foam tape?

Are you saying to put the tape inside the circled area here?

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 8.26.06 AM.png

Or are you talking about in here?
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 8.25.06 AM.png

I'm bumping this to ask if there was any follow up on if foam tape resolved the issue, and if it's still holding up now without making any noise?

What kind of foam tape did you end up using? (like how think, etc)

It drives me INSANE on my 2020 Model Y and it seems if I lean my leg against the side of the console the sound goes away, so I figure it's the same issue that you are having and likely can be fixed with that side panel vs trying to remove the console and attach it in a better/more secure way.