Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking headliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my MS to the service center to fix the creaking headliner. As I drove it away there was no more creak for about ten minutes. Then it slowly started coming back. It’s not as bad as it was but still annoying. My next step is to pull the headliner myself and see what I can do. Service center adviser said to take off visor clips first but be careful b/c they break easy. I’m probably going to buy a fiber optic video camera from harbor freight $150 to look up under the headliner after pulling down the front edge. Hopefully will get around to doing it in the next month. Will post when completed. The service center visit wasn’t all in vain as they did get rid of the yellow band around the MCU screen.

Haha, that sounds exactly like my multiple service visits for this issue!

I am also thinking about dropping the headliner myself, but I'll probably get a couple quotes from shops first. If it's affordable enough I'd rather not risk breaking clips.

Same issue here. First happened around 2016 and got it fixed by the Service Center under warranty.
It has been perfectly quiet until this summer.
I'm now out of warranty and also looking at solving this myself/with help of people around here.
Pushing & pulling slightly here and there has not been successful to pinpoint where exactly this comes from.

I have the same issue.and i can't figure it out. i applied some weatherstripping lubricant in the sun roof and yet the squeaking is there. I noticed when i'm driving on a smooth road, or on highway, the squeaks are not present. But when the sunroof is venting, the sound is gone. I'm not sure if the outside noise masks the squeaking sound.

Well I finally fixed my squeaking headliner. The squeak was coming from where the front of the headliner contacts the windshield at several points starting near the rear view mirror and extending about 14” toward the drivers side. You can test this by pushing on the front edge of the headliner while driving and the headliner is squeaking. If the squeak stops while applying pressure than that’s it.
The fix is to pull the front edge of the headliner away from the windshield about 1/8 -1/4” by wedging a plastic body panel remover or a thin wide screwdriver between the headliner and the windshield. If using a screwdriver be sure to wrap tape on the blade to avoid scratching the windshield. The headliner is actually quite flexible and will flex and return to shape without actually disengaging the clips that hold the headliner in place. I also removed the sun visor center clip but I don’t think this is actually required as it appears to be screwed into the headliner itself and not into a metal roof flange.
I held the headliner away from the glass with some small plastic tiling wedges and drove the car and voilà the squeak was gone.
I then replaced the wedges with a piece of cardboard approximately 1/4” wide by 14” long cut from a shoe box. The cardboard cannot be seen from inside the car or from the outside through the windshield. I was thinking of using a piece of felt instead of the cardboard but didn’t have any around. If it starts squeaking again I plan to replace the cardboard with felt.
I hope this helps someone with the same problem. I imagine this fix would work with any of the models and not just the MS