Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking headliner

Leewx

Aug 25, 2018
Vancouver WA
Took my MS to the service center to fix the creaking headliner. As I drove it away there was no more creak for about ten minutes. Then it slowly started coming back. It’s not as bad as it was but still annoying. My next step is to pull the headliner myself and see what I can do. Service center adviser said to take off visor clips first but be careful b/c they break easy. I’m probably going to buy a fiber optic video camera from harbor freight $150 to look up under the headliner after pulling down the front edge. Hopefully will get around to doing it in the next month. Will post when completed. The service center visit wasn’t all in vain as they did get rid of the yellow band around the MCU screen.

BPeter

Feb 2, 2019
Minnesota
Haha, that sounds exactly like my multiple service visits for this issue!

I am also thinking about dropping the headliner myself, but I'll probably get a couple quotes from shops first. If it's affordable enough I'd rather not risk breaking clips.

AustinP

Apr 6, 2015
Belgium
Same issue here. First happened around 2016 and got it fixed by the Service Center under warranty.
It has been perfectly quiet until this summer.
I'm now out of warranty and also looking at solving this myself/with help of people around here.
Pushing & pulling slightly here and there has not been successful to pinpoint where exactly this comes from.

BPeter

Feb 2, 2019
Minnesota
This is even louder and more frequent as the weather gets colder.
Driving me insane!

Is this the same noise the rest of you have?

MS Headliner.mp4

(I tried and failed to remove my A pillar trim, couldn't figure out how to detach the bottom)

ngtisu

Jul 25, 2019
NJ
I have the same issue.and i can't figure it out. i applied some weatherstripping lubricant in the sun roof and yet the squeaking is there. I noticed when i'm driving on a smooth road, or on highway, the squeaks are not present. But when the sunroof is venting, the sound is gone. I'm not sure if the outside noise masks the squeaking sound.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC