Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise at front in 2018 LR RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my M3 back from the body shop to repair some minor damage after some debris hit me on the freeway. Since then, it’s been making a knocking/creaking noise when driving. I notice it most at low speeds, but it’s not tied to steering or anything like that. Just happens constantly while driving. I’ve also noticed it creaks when getting in and out, and when I push down or pull up on the front of the car.

I’ve read a bunch of posts here and sounds like it might be a common problem with the upper control arm? But it also sounds like it could be something different — a loose bolt maybe? Just weird that it only started happening after the body shop was done with it.

I already have an appointment to bring it back into them next week so they can check it out, but I have to drive semi-long distances this weekend so I wanted to make sure with more experienced people than me that it will be safe to drive in the meantime.

Here are links to a couple videos i uploaded for reference. Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Forgot to mention the mileage is around 61,000
Just started having the same issues with my LR 3 with 53,000 miles. The creaking when rocking the suspension at rest sounds exactly like my problem. The control arm bushings make a lot of sense since it's more apparent with acceleration and deceleration. I have an appointment to check it out as well as why my AC goes out every time I Supercharge, then resets and works the next day.. A hard reboot at the time of incident makes no difference..

Upvote 0
That does not sound like what happened to my upper control arm which was a spooky door creaky sound that got worse over time and was easy to isolate. Can you isolate it to the left or right side? Your sound is more harsh and sounds like something is loose or catching rather than metal on metal friction. Given the sound and that it just came back from the shop I would not be driving in case it is a problem with the suspension.

For reference this was in my invoice.

Concern: Customer states there is a loud creaking, squeaking sound from the left front of the suspension during any body
flex movement, can be duplicated by pushing down on the left front. Verified by Mobile DC
Inspected the vehicle and found the left front upper control arm to be creaking. Removed and replaced the left front upper
control arm.
Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (Includes Alignment) (Remove
& Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH(1044321-00-H) 1.0

Upvote 0