Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise coming from drivers door (model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
I've been plagued, over the last few weeks, with a creaking noise coming from the drivers door card around the arm rest when pressed with my elbow. Well with the better weather, I thought I take a look and try and find the cause. It turned out that the cause is a plastic piece that is connected to the door card that rubs against the doors paintwork.

A quick spray with some silicone spray and the noise has gone! Maybe useful for others who have this problem...
Door card.jpg

I've been plagued, over the last few weeks, with a creaking noise coming from the drivers door card around the arm rest when pressed with my elbow. Well with the better weather, I thought I take a look and try and find the cause. It turned out that the cause is a plastic piece that is connected to the door card that rubs against the doors paintwork.

A quick spray with some silicone spray and the noise has gone! Maybe useful for others who have this problem...View attachment 782535
Good find! If have a m3p 2021 that does it on both front arm rests. Will try your fix tonight..

Glad I found this.. mine does this sporadically and it drives me mad because it doesn't seem like there's anything I could do about it.

What spray would you recommend, anything "silicone spray" on Amazon etc?

Thanks. So a stupid question - they’re all basically the same in principal? A silicone spray from one manufacturer will handle the squeaks just as well as another?

Choose one with a nice smell? GT85* was always my favourite for bike stuff ... I'm sure part of the reason was I liked the smell! (Your only introducing a slippery layer between plastic and paint so they should all work the same. I imagine if you tried 42 different brands some may last a bit longer before requiring reapplication but I can't think anyone would be up for doing the tests.)

*I have not specifically used any of the myriad of sprays for the issue described above ... 'cause I'm not suffering with a squeaking door (yet?)

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
for those rubber creaking noises, tesla SC used the "Rubber Fit" from wurth.

I think some of it is causes by the rubber seal rubbing ant the rubber bends (if it makes sense).

I bought same rubber fit stuf and will see if it helps.

for those rubber creaking noises, tesla SC used the "Rubber Fit" from wurth.

I think some of it is causes by the rubber seal rubbing ant the rubber bends (if it makes sense).

I bought same rubber fit stuf and will see if it helps.
🤔 that’s interesting. I was thinking of sticking some felt along the edge of the door card so it just slides against the paint. Maybe it will be quieter.

Last edited:
So today I worked on trying to solve the rubber creaking sound. And finally came to a solution.

Pull out the rubber molding around the door and spray some silicon Lubricant on the part that will touch the pinched painted metal part. Make sure to pull the rubber off the upper part of the door area too. When the door moves with the window closed, and pushes on this molding, it will just slide on the painted metal surface eliminating that rubber creak sound. Finally, some peace of mind when going over bumpy, uneven roads 😅

Attachments

• 9398BEC2-96A2-4D7F-8B2A-3EE23B596113.jpeg
    9398BEC2-96A2-4D7F-8B2A-3EE23B596113.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 300
So today I worked on trying to solve the rubber creaking sound. And finally came to a solution.

Pull out the rubber molding around the door and spray some silicon Lubricant on the part that will touch the pinched painted metal part. Make sure to pull the rubber off the upper part of the door area too. When the door moves with the window closed, and pushes on this molding, it will just slide on the painted metal surface eliminating that rubber creak sound. Finally, some peace of mind when going over bumpy, uneven roads 😅
Doesn't this make the rubber seal more likely to come off or is it still secure even after the treatment?

Sounds like the same issue as this: