Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise from suspension - resolved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to double check to confirm, and sure enough the official OEM Tesla service manual states to do a 4 wheel alignment after an upper control arm replacement. Shoddy work on behalf of Tesla, if the Service Advisor is correct that this step was skipped. Screenshot of the manual is attached.

Attachments

• controlArmService.png
    controlArmService.png
    101 KB · Views: 297
That is crazy they didn’t do an alignment.
I was in a super rush so I already showed up to pick up my Model 3. When I confronted the service advisor about no wheel alignment he insisted that only a post service test drive by the technician was required. I knew it was bullcrap but it was 3:15 pm and I had to grab and go. Very disappointed of this service center's lack of diligence. I am certainly not the first customer who has had their control arms replaced with no wheel alignment performed after major front suspension surgery. Tsk Tsk for Tesla Montreal Service Center Ferrier Street Quebec.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I was in a super rush so I already showed up to pick up my Model 3. When I confronted the service advisor about no wheel alignment he insisted that only a post service test drive by the technician was required. I knew it was bullcrap but it was 3:15 pm and I had to grab and go. Very disappointed of this service center's lack of diligence. I am certainly not the first customer who has had their control arms replaced with no wheel alignment performed after major front suspension surgery. Tsk Tsk for Tesla Montreal Service Center Ferrier Street Quebec.
Classic Tesla though, they will often try to hustle you out of the door with any lies they can muster up. This is one major downside of the service centers all being owned by the manufacturer. They really have great reasons to try to minimize costs and cut corners when servicing your vehicle. Good luck with the service advisors, hopefully you can get them to do the job properly. Let us know how it goes.

OK I'm having the exact same noise as @Threader. 2018 build (VIN 7345), long range RWD with 46,000 miles.

What are you guys selecting in the app when you make the service appointment? I think most logically it's a "noise & vibration," but I don't want this to get flagged in the same category as an interior rattling type noise that they are no longer covering under warranty.

OK I'm having the exact same noise as @Threader. 2018 build (VIN 7345), long range RWD with 46,000 miles.

What are you guys selecting in the app when you make the service appointment? I think most logically it's a "noise & vibration," but I don't want this to get flagged in the same category as an interior rattling type noise that they are no longer covering under warranty.
I believe there is a suspension selection. That seems most fitting.

I didn't specifically say "upper control arm" in the service request, but I did specifically say there was a creaking nose coming from the suspension area when the suspension was loaded or unloaded and also when the wheel turns. The worksheet surprised me, as this is obviously the worksheet they send you when you complain about interior plastic rattles they have decided to no longer cover. So I tried to be as clear as possible in the comments of the worksheet. Here's what I put:

There is a creaking/squeaking coming from the front suspension area and also when turning the wheel. It is noticeable at slow speeds. Not sure whether it happens at higher speeds as well. It appears the same as other videos I have seen that were diagnosed by Tesla as a control arm issue. This is not an interior rattle issue.

Then I gave them links to two YouTube videos I uploaded. One was a 4-minute vid of me driving around, and the second was a 30-second segment of that same drive.

Interesting. Mine is also June 2018 and I'm at ~29,500 miles!

A friend of mine with a February-March 2018 date had his control arms replaced recently as well.

I have the same problem - creaking noise when turning wheel or bumpy road. Service Center ordered me a FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH but since appt is over a month away I'm wondering if driving with the creak is in anyway detrimental??

Update for those who may care: The mobile tech came out, drove the car, and said "Yep, upper control arm. You need to go into the service center."

So I'm waiting for him to create an "activity" so I can schedule an SC appointment. Kind of annoying. Mobile service is nice, but back in the day I could have just made an appointment, dropped off the car, and been done already.

@BruceInFlorida I don't think it's detrimental to drive the car as-is in the time it takes to schedule an appointment. Definitely take it in, though.

• Informative
So someone posted this question already, but I’ll ask again- is it normal to hear creaking when maximally turning wheel when at low speed or stopped?

No. It sounds like you may have the upper control arm problem.

Final note on my story: Had the control arms replaced by the SC. Took all day, but didn't have to leave it overnight. Noise is completely gone now. Now I hope if anything else is going to break in the next couple of years it breaks in the next 4,000 miles.

• Helpful
Reactions: XLR82XS
I decided to double check to confirm, and sure enough the official OEM Tesla service manual states to do a 4 wheel alignment after an upper control arm replacement. Shoddy work on behalf of Tesla, if the Service Advisor is correct that this step was skipped. Screenshot of the manual is attached.

Had this service done a few weeks ago, no alignment done, instead they used a sharpie and drew a circle around the nuts so when they reinstalled the replacement upper control arm they can 'match' it up. My friend who had his upper control arm replaced about a year ago got a alignment.. looks like cost cutting and the ability to replace these control arms faster this way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 5.49.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 5.49.35 PM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 5.49.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 5.49.31 PM.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 234
Had this service done a few weeks ago, no alignment done, instead they used a sharpie and drew a circle around the nuts so when they reinstalled the replacement upper control arm they can 'match' it up. My friend who had his upper control arm replaced about a year ago got a alignment.. looks like cost cutting and the ability to replace these control arms faster this way.
That's unfortunate. That work-around put the specs back to what they were but if the specs were out to begin with then you're still out. I believe their very own service manual calls for an alignment to be done.

Classic Tesla though, they will often try to hustle you out of the door with any lies they can muster up. This is one major downside of the service centers all being owned by the manufacturer. They really have great reasons to try to minimize costs and cut corners when servicing your vehicle. Good luck with the service advisors, hopefully you can get them to do the job properly. Let us know how it goes.
Yeah, except, that’s classic from ANY dealer on ANY make, and ANYTHING BUT unique to Tesla. It’s just shonky mechanics cutting corners, taking the easy way out, and here’s the thing- such guys work at many mechanical workshops and dealers.
The things I could tell you about dealers work from previous makes of cars would take me half an hour to type out, or more. I don’t trust most of them as far as I can throw them.

Cya

Yeah, except, that’s classic from ANY dealer on ANY make, and ANYTHING BUT unique to Tesla. It’s just shonky mechanics cutting corners, taking the easy way out, and here’s the thing- such guys work at many mechanical workshops and dealers.
The things I could tell you about dealers work from previous makes of cars would take me half an hour to type out, or more. I don’t trust most of them as far as I can throw them.

Cya
Yay an extremely original and thought provoking fanboy comment backed up by zero facts with a mic drop "cya" at the end. Just what I was lacking in my life

Reactions: XLR82XS